218 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 29
    Standard Member CiscoKid
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

My 12 yo wants to play risk; however, it would be nice if there was a way to mark an account as a minor so people know to behave better when kids are around.  I am not asking for a discount on the membership, but parental controls.   Basically is it possible to piggy back off a parent's account?

2. #2 / 29
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

At my K-8 school we had a Risk club and we set up multiple WG accounts for those students, and they played private games, which were monitored.

In my opinion.. optimally, and if the code of conduct for the site was strictly enforced, there would be no problem.  People who use unsavory language or post offensive remarks in public games would be warned once and then kicked out.

Having a section for kids is not a solution.  I think they'd actually be more likely to break the rules.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Sun 7th Nov 18:45 [history]

3. #3 / 29
    Standard Member CiscoKid
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

At my K-8 school we had a Risk club and we set up multiple WG accounts for those students, and they played private games, which were monitored.

In my opinion.. optimally, and if the code of conduct for the site was strictly enforced, there would be no problem.  People who use unsavory language or post offensive remarks in public games would be warned once and then kicked out.

Having a section for kids is not a solution.  I think they'd actually be more likely to break the rules.

Okay, I did not make my point at all, sigh.

This would not be a separate area, but when kids are in a game, the adults know there are kids present.  I agree COD should be maintained regardless.

Is this clearer for still fuzzy?

4. #4 / 29
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I don't know about you guys, but when I was 12 I found a lot worse behavior at my public school than anything I've seen here in games.

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

5. #5 / 29
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Two of my kids (12 and 10) have accounts here and played many public games for almost a year - they have since moved on, but in that time we had to talk about what they heard on the bus once or twice, and nothing of that sort on Wargear.

Also, I don't know if a little icon saying, in effect, "This is a minor" would make me feel better or worse. I am thinking with some of the creeps that are on-line we would be better off not alerting people that a certain account is held by a kid.

6. #6 / 29
    Standard Member CiscoKid
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Toaster wrote: I don't know about you guys, but when I was 12 I found a lot worse behavior at my public school than anything I've seen here in games.

Now I have to agree with you more than you can imagine!

We tried public school for a semester w/ my 12 yo and it was the worst mistake I made with him to date!  Okay now comes the question of dual accounts with the same email address.

TOM, can this happen?

7. #7 / 29
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

I agree with this.  Personally I'm unsure why WG would need to be R-rated, seems like a PG-13ish should be sufficient and enforced...but that's just my take on the site.  And so far, to me, it seems like it has stayed within those boundaries.

This has some truth to it too:

Amidon37 wrote:

Also, I don't know if a little icon saying, in effect, "This is a minor" would make me feel better or worse. I am thinking with some of the creeps that are on-line we would be better off not alerting people that a certain account is held by a kid.

All that said, it will take some monitoring on your part Cisco to make sure all those things are enforced too, just like using the internet at all.

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

Yertle: I really don't know what we'd be doing if tom didn't start WG
    Yertle: scary to think about :p
    RiskyBack: You'd have more kids and I'd have a real job, probably

8. #8 / 29
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

CiscoKid wrote:

Okay now comes the question of dual accounts with the same email address.

TOM, can this happen?

Yup, certainly - if you let me know what account names you want (make sure they are unique first by checking the player list http://www.wargear.net/players/list ) Drop me an email to [email protected] and I'll get them set up.

As regards denoting players as minors in the game - I'm not 100% sure of the merits of this, I do agree though that this should be a family friend site so players should not be using foul or abusive language in a game and if this does happen then the first step would be a warning and the second a ban from using the site.

9. #9 / 29
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

if this does happen then the first step would be a warning and the second a ban from using the site.

are you [censored] kidding me? that's just [censored] reedonkulous. a little [censored] here and there never hurt anyone. continued or abuse of it yeah. but a random '[censored], that sucked' is all good IMO.

:^)}

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Mon 8th Nov 13:08 [history]

10. #10 / 29
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Suggestion along these lines - Another thing that would make this site a little more convenient for parents and their kids is if one account could buy premium memberships for other accounts.

11. #11 / 29
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

I tend to briefly curse when I have very bad luck. I'd hate to get banned for it :(.

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

12. #12 / 29
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Cursing is not quite "as" spontaneous when you have to use your fingers, but I do understand how it happens on occasion.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

13. #13 / 29
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Vataro wrote: I tend to briefly curse when I have very bad luck. I'd hate to get banned for it :(.

I also tend to briefly curse when I stub my toe, leave my wallet at home, etc.  So I was not too worried what my kids ran into here.

I seem to recall someone saying the site should be at about a PG-13 level.  For me that was fine for my kids -  

14. #14 / 29
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:
    Vataro wrote: I tend to briefly curse when I have very bad luck. I'd hate to get banned for it :(.

I also tend to briefly curse when I stub my toe, leave my wallet at home, etc.  So I was not too worried what my kids ran into here.

Yes, but do you feel the need to type it in a comment box to share with everyone else?

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

15. #15 / 29
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote: Suggestion along these lines - Another thing that would make this site a little more convenient for parents and their kids is if one account could buy premium memberships for other accounts.

Another vote from me for this, but in my case it is for my parents & parents-in-law.

16. #16 / 29
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Toaster wrote:

Yes, but do you feel the need to type it in a comment box to share with everyone else?

[censored] yeah i do! they all need to know how much that last roll sucked.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

17. #17 / 29
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

touché

18. #18 / 29
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I would be happy to see the ability to purchase premium for other accounts as I know there are those individuals who are afraid to use a credit card online (they do still exist).

I understand weathertop's argument, but have not to date seen many, if any swearwords on the site. I would rather see someone warned and banned for aggressive offensive comments that continue after a game is over and carry over onto profile walls.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

19. #19 / 29
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:
    Toaster wrote:

[censored] yeah i do! they all need to know how much that last roll sucked.

This.

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

20. #20 / 29
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote: I understand weathertop's argument, but have not to date seen many, if any swearwords on the site. I would rather see someone warned and banned for aggressive offensive comments that continue after a game is over and carry over onto profile walls.

Agreed!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)