204 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 2
    Standard Member Mostly Harmless
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

There appears to be increasing occurrences of a technical glitch with wargear where a player who is marked as being on vacation gets skipped.    Tom appears to be willing to reset these games back to that player's turn which seems fair.   The problem is that the affected player may not realize the problem until s/he returns from vacation and then it can take several days for Tom to reset it.   In the meantime, the other players will often have taken their turns which reveals their strategy, and, in fogged games, reveals territory ownership and unit counts.  Consequently, the replayed turns are taken with this knowledge which skews the games.    I was in one large fogged game where almost two full rounds were played before the game, without notice, was reset. There is absolutely no question it changed the play of both myself and the other players I engaged with.   For example, one of my opponents whom I happened to eliminate during the original turns, opted not to bother taking his turn in the replayed rounds which resulted in me not gaining the extra card which allowed me to immediately flip cards in the original turn.  Other players attacked in totally different directions which suggested they were basing the replayed turn on knowledge gained during the original turns. 

Having lived through the demise of warfish due primarily to similar technical glitches, I'm a little concerned about what this trend bodes for wargear.   However, Tom has always been outstanding about addressing technical issues, so I'm hopeful and presuming this downturn is just an anomaly until he gets a handle on the root cause. 

My main concern for posting, in the meantime, is the following.  First,  to make people aware of this problem.  If you see someone's turn skipped who was on vacation, it might be worth reaching out to them, or checking the support forum, to see if it was an accidental skip.   Second, in these cases, to encourage you to post a message in the game asap (particularly if you're the person reporting the problem) to let other players know not to take their turn until it is resolved.   A private message to the very next person is also recommended as it's more likely to be seen.  It's both a courtesy to those playing next and also prevents the game from being irrevocably skewed.   

Edited Thu 19th Oct 17:15 [history]

2. #2 / 2
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Agreed with you on the long term worries MH and the effect these reverts have on games.  

It just happened to us in a fogged tourney game which was at a crucial moment and a little tense and now we aren't sure if it will ever revert or not. 

The good thing is tom has indicated that he is trying to locate the bug. It seems to me that it is happening less than it did a few weeks ago - 

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)