1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 24
    WWI Flying Ace Red Baron
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

There are two things I don't like about Warfish BAO that I hope would be fixed here.

1. It's hard to understand how the dice work.  I could never really get the dice to do what I wanted them to do in my BAO game designs when I tried to use damage dice to model terrain.  A system more straightforward and intuitive would be welcome.
    2. Huge armies dominate the game.  Unless you in put a max army ceiling, it is possible to mass your armies into a large, virtually unbeatable unit.  This defensive strategy can be used to delay games indefinitely.  If you attack a 100 army unit with a 50 army unit on one side and then a 50 army unit on another side, I would prefer to see approximately equal losses on both sides if the dice are set to neutral odds.  On Warfish such an attack will kill off the two armies of 50 while leaving much of the 100 army unit intact.

2. #22 / 24
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Red Baron wrote:

There are two things I don't like about Warfish BAO that I hope would be fixed here.

1. It's hard to understand how the dice work.  I could never really get the dice to do what I wanted them to do in my BAO game designs when I tried to use damage dice to model terrain.  A system more straightforward and intuitive would be welcome.
    2. Huge armies dominate the game.  Unless you in put a max army ceiling, it is possible to mass your armies into a large, virtually unbeatable unit.  This defensive strategy can be used to delay games indefinitely.  If you attack a 100 army unit with a 50 army unit on one side and then a 50 army unit on another side, I would prefer to see approximately equal losses on both sides if the dice are set to neutral odds.  On Warfish such an attack will kill off the two armies of 50 while leaving much of the 100 army unit intact.

1. Why not just use the underlying percentages: a defender has an X% (75 in Warfish) chance to destroy an attacking unit and an attacker has a Y% (60 in Warfish)  chance to destroy a defending unit.  Terrain can just add modifiers to those percentages, so maybe attacking a jungle territory is -5% to destroy defenders and +5% to destroy attackers.

2. Would it be possible to make a new "joint attack" command?  Allow the player to select multiple originating territories for an attack when making an attack order.  All attacks would occur simultaneously, and the defending territory would only get to roll once for each of its defenders.

3. #23 / 24
    WWI Flying Ace Red Baron
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

For that matter, why not make the dice in simultaneous mode behave exactly the same way as the dice in a standard game when you hit the 'A' or 'T' buttons? No learning curve at all that way.

4. #24 / 24
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I'm pretty much in agreement with Toaster's posting on this - also agree with points from RB and Norseman and Red Baron that understanding how the dice work should be simple. IMHO Sim play should at a basic level be the following:

1. One die thrown per unit attacking / defending
    2. Attack / defend kill rates expressed as a percentage and set at board level
    3. Border modifiers used to change this attack / defend kill % by set amounts

I'll keep an eye on this thread for suggestions and look to incorporate as many of the good ones as I can so keep 'em coming.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)