Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 8
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

hi all

As you probably know there are a number of issues with the chat system. Most of them I'm afraid I am not going to be able to resolve as the code is closed and it is up to the developer to fix. There is a 2.0 version (this is v1.6) that promises a number of improvements (e.g. pop out chat windows) but it is still in Beta so I'm reluctant to use it. I have today hopefully resolved one major bug which was preventing many players from logging in to chat.

I think the chat bar is working great for 1:1 conversations but not so good for group chat (which was the original requirement). I think the best course of action is to reinstate the old group chat (although with a different front end so it will hopefully be more reliable) and disable the group chat within the chat bar.

Hopefully group chat will be improved in v2.0 and the separate group chat can be retired at that point.

Tom

2. #2 / 8
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I could have sent you this thanks in chat (which is now working)!

Longest innings. Most deadly.

3. #3 / 8
    Standard Member Seige07
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

No more "You must login to use Cometchat message"!!!!

All your base are belong to us

4. #4 / 8
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Sooo, I guess I fail to really see where the other version worked better. The older version had to be/stay opened in a new tab/window right? It also had some weirdness with logout issues, randomly assigned user colors, didn't really do anything special...so what's the difference?
    I think you are able to stay logged in with this new chat if you open a separate tab/window and log into the Lobby and just don't move pages on that tab/window, which is the same as the old chat right? Yet at the same time you can access the Lobby from any page without switching and have the ability to create private rooms (although I haven't really seen them used I guess), but not really missing anything that the old chat had. You also get to stick with the single system and the nice Private system which is great and beneficial IMO.

*shrug* I would like to see this new chat actually keep people logged into the Lobby (and really be "separate" but in conjunction with the site as a whole, ie not refreshing when you move pages on WG) and the ability to show names when people are present in the Lobby, but I'm actually still unsure how much a Chat system would be utilized if it was just a small icon (like it previously was), I think the Chat bar would eventually get more use as people see/notice it more.

Anyhow, I'm not totally against two system while the right system is worked out/kinks fixed but I would think it's not ideal.

Edited Sun 18th Jul 22:47 [history]

5. #5 / 8
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Click on the Lobby, see how there have been 10 messages in as many days? Sorry, the old one had its flaws but was light years ahead in terms of actually being used.

I believe the intent is to keep the Cometchat bar and replace the Chatrooms button with a link to the old chat, making it appear as a single system. At least until Cometchat 2.0 is out. As far as making any interface fixes at all to Cometchat, that's a waste of time. It's a complex piece of software, and could easily eat up tom's development time for months. Not worth it.

Mongrel: "Yeah, If 11s is not eliminated in the first 5 rounds - back to the drawing board." SO TRUE!

6. #6 / 8
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

IRoll11s wrote:
     As far as making any interface fixes at all to Cometchat, that's a waste of time.

I think Comechat (the bar) is fine as is in regards to interface, I meant when the only way to the Chat was via the small icon in the upper right, that's less noticeable.

7. #7 / 8
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

IRoll11s wrote: ...I believe the intent is to keep the Cometchat bar and replace the Chatrooms button with a link to the old chat, making it appear as a single system.

This is exactly what i was hoping was possible.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Mon 19th Jul 11:32 [history]

8. #8 / 8
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The names of the last 10 messages in the Lobby chatroom appear to be changing...just noticed our Player numbers changed too though...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)