1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 8
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

My understanding is that I can change a board even after it has been released.  Pretty much any aspect of it..  Starting Scenario etc..  Map image, etc.. HOWEVER, the board can only be in one state at any given time.  So for instance, if I have a traditional board that I want to make into a hoards version, or change the Level Bonus structure of my King of the Mountains map, or different starting scenarios for different numbers of players, I can't.  I don't see duplicate maps on the main boards page so I'm going to assume that no one is releasing different versions/mods of their boards.  This makes sense. It would look horrible.

So the only thing that I've seen that can be changed is fog (and this only if the designer let's it be so). Are there other "options" that are on the horizon for players?  I can see that this might be a problem since every board is can be played for a "rating", and it might be possible to change scenarios so that, for instance, the first player has too much of an advantage.  I miss the "ranked" version, (especially now that the developer can fix any problems or inequalities).  As it currently stands, I can make mods for personal use, but only one version is available to the public.   Is this perceived as a problem here at WG, or for simplicity's sake is this by design? 

Edited Thu 22nd Apr 19:04 [history]

2. #2 / 8
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

My understanding is that it is by design.

I think the underlying thinking behind this is that the unwashed masses cannot be trusted with starting games with settings that don't suck and make your map unplayable. When that happens it leads to retarded reviews that have nothing to do with the map but more to do with the moron who tries to start a 16 player heavy fog +50 elimination bonus scenario on say, Steal the Bacon.

There was discussion about allowing some of the map design options to be changed by players based on whether the designer allows them to be changed or not.

-John Hancock-

3. #3 / 8
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i thought also that in the future that different scenarios will be available. so you would have one for hordes, one for normal without having different instances of the map.

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen

4. #4 / 8
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

IRoll11's wrote:  I think the underlying thinking behind this is that the unwashed masses cannot be trusted with starting games with settings that don't suck and make your map unplayable.

ALN!!!!!!!!!!!

The Status is NOT quo

5. #5 / 8
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote: i thought also that in the future that different scenarios will be available. so you would have one for hordes, one for normal without having different instances of the map.

Aye, this ("Mods") has been proposed, I think tom seemed for it, so hopefully it will occur at sometime in the not so distant future.

You're pretty much correct M57, although I personally don't think too much should be changed once a board goes Live and has games played on it, borders corrected and fixed graphics and the like are OK, but drastic game changing scenarios/modifications (ie changing from basic to Hordes, or completely changing the board) should be more frowned upon IMO so that it doesn't affect Rankings (since those get transferred over from Version to Version).

Customizable Rules should be more available IMO, especially for Private games, but I would potentially also probably back only Customizable Rules when a board is Purchased, which is another future development that tom has mentioned.

6. #6 / 8
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote: i thought also that in the future that different scenarios will be available. so you would have one for hordes, one for normal without having different instances of the map.

Well, Hordes is just an example..  The types of variation that are appropriate will be different from board to board.  For instance, with battle-field recreations, different starting scenarios would be an obvious option.  The types of variations could be immense, right down to slightly different boards and/or bonus structures that change in tournament play.

But as Yertle points out, you can't have this if boards are ranked "as is".   Personally, I don't care so much about rankings as much as I do about just playing the game.  I don't see why you can't offer variations on "unranked" boards.

Edited Thu 22nd Apr 22:20 [history]

7. #7 / 8
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I agree, and I think it's something that hopefully tom will visit soon. I would even be in favor of variations of Ranked Scenarios. Even something as drastic as Hordes vs Regular and both be available for Ranked games, but a wild starting scenario only available for Unranked games.

8. #8 / 8
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

yeah i wasn't implying that was the only option. just was one used previously as an example, and the only one i wanted to type up. i'm lazy.

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)