194 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 18
    Standard Member Morbo
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

It would be neat/useful if there was a link in each game message that let you jump to the point in history when the message was sent.  That way you can see what the board looked like when the message was left and might have a better idea of what they were talking about.  Often someone will say something but by the time its your turn their comment doenst make sense because the board has changed.

2. #2 / 18
    Standard Member Morbo
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

on a related note, when I was looking at the history of the game that made me think of this, i noticed that the history times were an hour off of the message times. It fixed itself after I went into my timezone settings and specified my time zone as central (previously my setting was just whatever the default is)

3. #3 / 18
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I've added a little icon which does this - this appears to the right of the date/time on the your message list when viewing a game. This links to the board state at the turn the message was posted. This is not a retrospective change ie it only appears for messages posted since I made the update.

Note also you may need to refresh your page to get the updated code behind this.

4. #4 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

So... this looks weird at times.
    For example in this game http://www.wargear.net/games/view/15406 and this game http://www.wargear.net/games/view/15453
    The board state shows as a small image, then if clicked it creates a new scrolly section in the "message" area.

Some other games it appears to work fine. Three suggestions though:
    1) Center the Image (seems odd that it gets flushed left)
    2) Have a way to "expand/collapse" and/or get back to the messages easily, or even nicer would be to still allow the messages to be seen.
    3) Games with History Off appear to just go to a blank page, so removal of icon seems logical until the game is over then place and allow to see.

5. #5 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

And nicely implemented! I like that it's not a part of the History like WF had it, and out of the way yet easy to access.

6. #6 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

And if you wanted to eventually get really cool, add the Player Stat box (Units/Continents/etc.) at the time of the board state to the image.

7. #7 / 18
    Standard Member Morbo
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Wow, i really like the implementation.  Its much better than any method that I had in mind. 

A few observations:

1. When you try to pull the popup window out of the way so you can see the actual map underneath, it wont go beyond the edge of the window.  I'm not sure if its possible but it would be nice if you could pull it beyond the limits of the window so you can fully see the actual map underneath it.
    2. When you grab the bottom right corner of the pop up window and scale the window down it would be nice if the picture scaled with it instead of staying the same size and needing to use scroll bars to see the rest of the image.  If the first observation isnt possible then this fix would probably alleviate the issue.
    3. When I follow the links that Yertle shared, the links work fine but then when I click 'Launch Player' and go into the game the links no longer work.  This may have something to do with the fact that I was not one of the players in the game.

8. #8 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Oh wow...works completely different between IE and Firefox...

9. #9 / 18
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I made a minor update to center the popup better. Seems the dialog doesn't support moving off screen, I'll have to work on that one + the resizing part.

10. #10 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: I made a minor update to center the popup better. Seems the dialog doesn't support moving off screen, I'll have to work on that one + the resizing part.

Sooo, do I (or Firefox) have something preventing the window from popping up?  Board image just replaces the Message area for me.

11. #11 / 18
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

You've done a page refresh I take it? F5 / CTRL-F5? I've tested on FF 3.6.

12. #12 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: You've done a page refresh I take it? F5 / CTRL-F5? I've tested on FF 3.6.

Yep, FF 3.6.3 here.

I have some Add Ons, but never had any trouble that I know of like this, and nothing that jumps out at me as being a cause.

I can play with that stuff later and see if any of those make a difference.

13. #13 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Well went ahead and disabled all the Add Ons and still the same thing.

14. #14 / 18
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work - is this across all your games I take it? Maybe clear your internet cache? If not you could try installing Firebug, it's a javascript debugging console that may flag an error.

15. #15 / 18
    Standard Member Morbo
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Morbo wrote:

When I follow the links that Yertle shared, the links work fine but then when I click 'Launch Player' and go into the game the links no longer work.  This may have something to do with the fact that I was not one of the players in the game.

I was able to test this out on my own games and the link still does nothing once im in the flash player.

16. #16 / 18
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Ahha that should be fixed now.

17. #17 / 18
    Standard Member Morbo
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

yup! works now :)

18. #18 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Morbo just mentioned that his weren't working...but I hadn't tried mine in a few days but now mine are working :D
    Don't think I really made any changes/reset anything though :P

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)