223 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 14
    Premium Member Rictuar
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

N players play M free-for-all rounds on M different maps.

Edited Sat 5th Aug 19:24 [history]

2. #2 / 14
    Standard Member Abraham the Mage
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Fascinating idea, but how many people would join a tournament not knowing where they'd be playing?

Personally, there are boards I don't want to play/ don't know well enough to feel confident about winning, so I'd definitely stay away from this. I'm sure others agree.

Maybe if it was: N players play M rounds on M boards, with the boards predetermined, so everyone knows what they're getting into?

3. #3 / 14
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Would be fun to have some more tournament options.

4. #4 / 14
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Abraham the Mage wrote:Fascinating idea, but how many people would join a tournament not knowing where they'd be playing?
    Personally, there are boards I don't want to play/ don't know well enough to feel confident about winning, so I'd definitely stay away from this. I'm sure others agree.
    Maybe if it was: N players play M rounds on M boards, with the boards predetermined, so everyone knows what they're getting into?

Abraham, playing a tourney on a map is a good way to learn it without it impacting your individual rating. I've done it with several maps I hadn't played or rarely played. Sometimes, I was pleasantly surprised when I liked the board.

Of course, if you're worried about it hurting your tourney rating, then...

5. #5 / 14
    Standard Member Abraham the Mage
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote: Abraham, playing a tourney on a map is a good way to learn it without it impacting your individual rating. I've done it with several maps I hadn't played or rarely played. Sometimes, I was pleasantly surprised when I liked the board.

That makes sense, but here you'd only be playing on each map once, which won't really give you a feeling for anything.

6. #6 / 14
    Premium Member Rictuar
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Abraham the Mage wrote:Fascinating idea, but how many people would join a tournament not knowing where they'd be playing?

ya i always supposed that the boards would be specified

kind of like a tour of "the best" maps, or maps with a particular flavor, etc.

7. #7 / 14
    Premium Member Rictuar
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:Would be fun to have some more tournament options.

agreed

8. #8 / 14
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Rictuar wrote:Abraham the Mage wrote:Fascinating idea, but how many people would join a tournament not knowing where they'd be playing?

ya i always supposed that the boards would be specified
    kind of like a tour of "the best" maps, or maps with a particular flavor, etc.

I think that would be great. You could do themes as well. Maps by a designern water maps, LOTR maps....

9. #9 / 14
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

What would be cool is if the board designer had access to the any tournament messageboard that involved his/her board design, to allow some commentary and to answer questions that arise during play that might be beneficial to everyone without actually having to join the tourney. I mean, we already have the ability to comment within any game of our designs, why not broaden that ability to the tourney messageboards? I'd love to help players learn my maps without having to compete against them at the same time.

10. #10 / 14
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i like all the above.

default to pre-determined set of boards, but could branch out and have mystery tourneys.

it'd be great if there was an option (in-game) to query/message the maker - i've had that numerous times where needed to alert of broken connection or something of that ilk. but advice would be great to deal with too. altho i can see that being a problem (not only just for retired makers, but for overloading a maker too).

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

11. #11 / 14
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote:What would be cool is if the board designer had access to the any tournament messageboard that involved his/her board design, to allow some commentary and to answer questions that arise during play that might be beneficial to everyone without actually having to join the tourney. I mean, we already have the ability to comment within any game of our designs, why not broaden that ability to the tourney messageboards? I'd love to help players learn my maps without having to compete against them at the same time.

Not too long ago (maybe a month or two) I wasn't able to comment in a game OR in its related tournament on one of my boards. In the past I do seem to remember being able to comment in games.

12. #12 / 14
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:Thingol wrote:What would be cool is if the board designer had access to the any tournament messageboard that involved his/her board design, to allow some commentary and to answer questions that arise during play that might be beneficial to everyone without actually having to join the tourney. I mean, we already have the ability to comment within any game of our designs, why not broaden that ability to the tourney messageboards? I'd love to help players learn my maps without having to compete against them at the same time.

Not too long ago (maybe a month or two) I wasn't able to comment in a game OR in its related tournament on one of my boards. In the past I do seem to remember being able to comment in games.

You were definitely able to do that in the past, as I've had board designer comment in my own games several times, without playing.

13. #13 / 14
    Premium Member Twobeard
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Pool play or group stage that advances into seeded brackets.

I have no idea how that would work. Programmers GO!

14. #14 / 14
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Of course this would have to be run by a member, and games would necessarily be private. There are just too many options and variable to consider for Tom to take this on and make it a part of the site. That said, I think this ..and the idea of 'guilds' could be fun and a community builder.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)