224 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 13
    Premium Member momzilla
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

I hosted a Dejeweled game for 3 players. The first player to join me is someone I don't want to play. In the past I played and lost 6 of 6 games of Dejeweled to him. When I realized this, I put him on my enemies list. He was a Standard Player and I am Premium, so that effectively blocked him from joining my games. I sent him a message letting him know that I didn't really consider him an enemy, just a player out of my league. If I couldn't beat him once in 6 games, at a game where he was a beginner and I had been playing for years, and the third player varied from game to game, well you get the picture.

He wasn't happy with my decision, feeling I was leaving him out in the cold. I told him he could still join any Dejeweled games that I hadn't joined, so it was first come, first served. He could also create a game himself and it would be up to me not to join. I even told him of a game that was currently filling that I would leave open for him.

I had played hundreds of games of Dejeweled over the years and worked my way up to 4th or 5th place. I just couldn't keep playing and losing to him consistently and ruin that. So, years went by and I didn't think about it. Now, he has become a Premium Player. I hosted a game and he joined it. I doubt I can beat him. Is it possible to somehow withdraw this game before it gets another player and starts? I can't find any way to do that. Thanks for help, if it can be done.

2. #2 / 13
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

if the game is not one you created and has not started, then you should be able to leave. go to the join game page: ( https://www.wargear.net/games/join/nnnnnnn - where ns represent the game ID#) and below the players table is a button to "Leave Game"

if you created it, then the only way to kill it is for everyone to un-join, or if it times out before it fills (a month? i think).

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Tue 14th Dec 14:29 [history]

3. #3 / 13
    Standard Member Xrayjay
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

There is a wider philosophical discussion here that is super interesting. Myself, I stopped playing Blandensburg back in the day cause there didn't seem much point...I wasn't worried about ranking points but losing to Berikf (sp?) over and over again didn't seem the best use of time!

4. #4 / 13
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Unfortunately momzilla, you cannot quit a game you created after someone else joined.

Memory is a strange thing. The player in question joined this site march last year. It feels longer ago than it was.

If you remind him I'm sure he'll be considerate. I quit the board on 7/7 when I was asked to four years ago and haven't played it since. Happy to leave it to you and farmdoggy.

Edited Wed 15th Dec 10:29 [history]

5. #5 / 13
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Interesting, putting someone on the 'enemies' list as a player who just beats you. I...guess I can see that. I had always only put players on my enemies list that I simply disliked or disliked their gameplay.

6. #6 / 13
    Premium Member Spider
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Xrayjay, "losing to Berikf (sp?) over and over again didn't seem the best use of time!" This viewpoint I completely understand!

I don't mind losing so much-anymore. However, if I am having a hard time grasping a winning strategy on a board, I move on for a while. If I'm getting frustrated, I'll watch some game histories by the top ranked players and look for tournaments or private games on a board, so I can learn to play alternative strategies . . . but, if I can make progress elsewhere, I'm likely to give up on a board that stumps me for a while.

All of my enemies happen to be folks I don't like playing with much, but they usually have a bad attitude coupled with chaotic strategy.

I understand where momzilla is coming from, but as someone who just started paying attention to Champion Points, the idea is that if you create a public ranked game, you're opening yourself up for a title match. It's fine to avoid someone, fine to ask them to play elsewhere--I guess, but if you make the game and someone sits at the table, I think you live with the consequences and make the best of the situation . . .

There are other ways to win against an advanced player. You could play to win and if that chance escapes you, you can strategically play so the other ranked player also does not win.

7. #7 / 13
    Standard Member Xrayjay
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Spider - "There are other ways to win against an advanced player. You could play to win and if that chance escapes you, you can strategically play so the other ranked player also does not win."

Ah, more interesting stuff. If you aren't going to win and care about ranking points, you want the highest ranked player to go onto win so you don't lose so many points. Unless that player is going to go above you in the top 10 on the board losing you Championship points.

8. #8 / 13
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Xrayjay wrote:Spider - "There are other ways to win against an advanced player. You could play to win and if that chance escapes you, you can strategically play so the other ranked player also does not win."

Ah, more interesting stuff. If you aren't going to win and care about ranking points, you want the highest ranked player to go onto win so you don't lose so many points. Unless that player is going to go above you in the top 10 on the board losing you Championship points.

I think he meant making the high ranked player also not win, in other words giving the game to the 3rd player. I'm not sure that is feasible on Dejeweled. Easier to accomplish on more standard boards.

As a high ranked player it's interesting for me to note the differences between such strategies. Some players want me to lose if they can't win themselves, some want me to win as they lose less points that way. A couple seem more interested in me losing than winning themselves, I try to avoid those. I prefer not to start games with a disadvantage. The best games for me are those where noone cares much about who is who and just play the colours on the board.

9. #9 / 13
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:Xrayjay wrote:
    I'm not sure that is feasible on Dejeweled. Easier to accomplish on more standard boards.

As a high ranked player it's interesting for me to note the differences between such strategies. Some players want me to lose if they can't win themselves, some want me to win as they lose less points that way. A couple seem more interested in me losing than winning themselves, I try to avoid those. I prefer not to start games with a disadvantage. The best games for me are those where noone cares much about who is who and just play the colours on the board.

Actually, I've been in a losing position on Dejeweled on more than one occasion where I clearly had the ability to decide who the winner would be. I don't remember exactly who it was (you could probably find out by looking at my game history), but I decided to make it such that a very highly ranked player would lose. I figured if I'm going to lose, I would prefer that he lost more points than me. He saw what I did and he was furious. I don't play that board anymore. I really wanted to like that board, but I consider it fatally flawed for that reason.

Edited Sat 18th Dec 18:59 [history]

10. #10 / 13
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:Litotes wrote:Xrayjay wrote:
    Actually, I've been in a losing position on Dejeweled on more than one occasion where I clearly had the ability to decide who the winner would be. I don't remember exactly who it was (you could probably find out by looking at my game history), but I decided to make it such that a very highly ranked player would lose. I figured if I'm going to lose, I would prefer that he lost more points than me. He saw what I did and he was furious. I don't play that board anymore. I really wanted to like that board, but I consider it fatally flawed for that reason.

According to your stats you have played 0 public games on Dejeweled and one private game, in 2015, where you won. So this must have been DEV games, with no point loss for anyone, and the identity of the high ranked player is safe from detection.

11. #11 / 13
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

According to your stats you have played 0 public games on Dejeweled and one private game, in 2015, where you won. So this must have been DEV games, with no point loss for anyone, and the identity of the high ranked player is safe from detection.

Hmm.. Interesting. I do seem to remember that it was right around when it came out. I wonder why he was so mad if it was a Dev game?

12. #12 / 13
    Premium Member Spider
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Right, I meant to try to keep other high ranked folks from gaining in the ranks, but I’ve not actually had to worry about this before. :) someday, perhaps.

13. #13 / 13
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Hmm.. Interesting. I do seem to remember that it was right around when it came out. I wonder why he was so mad if it was a Dev game?

He probably didn't realize. This was before I registered and even in my time there have been seasoned players who weren't sure if DEV game counted or not.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)