235 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 13
    Premium Member Mivkey
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Just genuinely curious the worst luck anyone has had in a game? I had -14.97 this past game, which feels like it has to be as bad as it gets, but I'm assuming someone has had it worse?

2. #2 / 13
    Private zyx zyx is offline now
    Standard Member zyx
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

3. #3 / 13
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I've been in the negative 60s, at least, that I remember. Probably dipped lower than that at some point I can't recall.

4. #4 / 13
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

This is probably the worst I've won, -34 luck at the end but -45 during.

http://www.wargear.net/games/luck/709703

5. #5 / 13
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The luck factor for very large unit count games can get pretty large due to the number of attacks being greater. Much more difficult to get a huge negative (or positive) luck factor in the typical risk game. Simulgear games also can result in huge luck factor swings, though I don’t know the basis for adjudicating them is.

6. #6 / 13
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote: The luck factor for very large unit count games can get pretty large due to the number of attacks being greater. Much more difficult to get a huge negative (or positive) luck factor in the typical risk game. Simulgear games also can result in huge luck factor swings, though I don’t know the basis for adjudicating them is.

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=general:luck_stats#interpreting_luck_stats

From that page..

..divide the luck stat by the square root of the sum of variances2 from all battles, and then use tables to determine a Z-score and/or a standard deviation, and then perhaps from there determine a percentile score, a proposed WarGear feature.

Edited Thu 28th May 05:42 [history]

7. #7 / 13
    Standard Member zdisabled_b0c46970
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Could you repeat that in English, please?

8. #8 / 13
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

DeVine wrote:

Of course, it was in English, but it goes to Thingol's point that it's a complicated subject. Luck stats as they are currently calculated are not necessarily a good indicator of how lucky or unlucky the dice were for you.  Depending on the circumstances, a luck stat of -10 could mean you had horrible luck, or were just slightly unlucky.

Edited Wed 1st Jul 18:57 [history]

9. #9 / 13
    Standard Member zdisabled_b0c46970
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    DeVine wrote:

Of course, it was in English, but it goes to Thingol's point that it's a complicated subject. Luck stats as they are currently calculated are not necessarily a good indicator of how lucky or unlucky the dice were for you.  Depending on the circumstances, a luck stat of -10 could mean you had horrible luck, or were just slightly unlucky.

I meant, could it please be explained in simpler terms, but I should've been more clear.

10. #10 / 13
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

DeVine wrote:

I meant, could it please be explained in simpler terms, but I should've been more clear.

Nope, you were clear.  My point: There are no simpler terms.  If you really want luck stats that do the job, the math is complicated.

11. #11 / 13
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Basically more the dice you roll, the more likely you are to have more extreme luck stats (the way luck is currently calculated on wargear).  A luck stat of -10 is much worse if you've made 100 rolls, than if you've made 1000 rolls.  If you want to know how much worse, or what a comparable luck at 1000 rolls vs 100 rolls is, then you're into the hard math.

12. #12 / 13
    Standard Member Xrayjay
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

I do chemistry not math...but I'd think for a given number of rolls that have a normal distribution centred on X total, then if my individual crap luck game calculating what fraction of a standard deviation worse than expected I was should not be hard math. Too hard for me, but not actually hard. Probably I am a fraction of a standard deviation lucky and I just had bad timing and accidently hit T instead of A and missed the elimination I needed.

13. #13 / 13
    Standard Member Xrayjay
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Then compare to your opponents SDs (and then more math)...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)