229 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 14
    Standard Member EnixNeo
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

One of the things that makes playing mw2, halo 3, or just about any game online great is the ability to get a team of friends together and taking on other teams.  I like the team dynamics and the difference in strategies.  The problem is that if I want to play a team game on wg with a buddy of mine, there's currently no way of starting a game where we're on the same team.  If we want to play together, I have to either call them or send out a text, have everyone near a computer and logged on, then create a game and have them join right away before anyone takes there spot on my team.  I think a feature where we can create public team games and then send out invites for spots on one team or the other would be great.  This is another one of those things that could even be a premium member option (although, again, I prefer it be standard).

Edited Thu 4th Feb 21:08 [history]

2. #2 / 14
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

should be able to open a private game get your buddies together then open it up to the public. unless that's not enabled.

could always try putting a messege in the join game window to reserve your team for incoming ppl. don't know how that would work on here.

Don't Taze Me Bro!

3. #3 / 14
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote: should be able to open a private game get your buddies together then open it up to the public. unless that's not enabled.

I don't think you can switch a Private game to a Public game. 

Seems like inviting a friend to be a teammate or other friends to be teammates and opening the rest of the player positions to public would be a nice option (just like Enix suggested).

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

Seek Yours Today. Get Uncomfortable.

4. #4 / 14
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

This would still create the greatest problem with open team games, the high probability of getting an idiot for a partner.

What if it worked this way:

1. The host starts the game and specifies the size of the teams and number of teams.
    2. The host then enters a number of players names to fill out the rest of his team.
    3. A public game is created with one open slot for each team other than the host's.
    4. When a player joins the public team game, they become their team "Captain."  A dialogue box appears to prompt the Captain to invite specific teammates.  If the captain would like to play with a random player then a new slot would open up on the public game to allow someone to join his team.
    5. The prospective teammates then receive notice that they've been invited to play on a team with "so and so."

Seems like it could be a cool system.  I often want to play teamed up with specific players, but against random players instead of my same old group of players.

Of course, if this system were a possibility I'd really want something in place to track team game stats.

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

5. #5 / 14
    Standard Member EnixNeo
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Toaster wrote:

Seems like it could be a cool system.  I often want to play teamed up with specific players, but against random players instead of my same old group of players.

Exactly!  Right now I'm playing so many games with the same group of friends (all private matches) because there's no way to create arranged team games.  I'd love to get other players in there to add some new strategies, couter-tactics, and flavor to the game.  I wanna see how we stack up to other players.

6. #6 / 14
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

You could take things a step further and form a whole guild of players to join. With the guild concept in place, instead of the captain choosing teammates out of the blue (step #4) he could have a pop-up of his guild members and could either hand-pick his team or send the invite to everyone and they'd join on a first come first served basis.

Stats would be kept based on the ranking of the members as a collective of their individual scores and also how they've fared in team games.

Hosts of new games would be able to select particular guilds to "Call-Out" for a challenge and then the game would only show in the queue for members of the respective guilds.

I've got more ideas, but this may be fodder for an entirely seperate thread so I'll hold off for now.

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

7. #7 / 14
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Guilds?!? Go back to WoW. :-p

Seriously, though, I think they're typically called clans in the context of strategy gaming.

8. #8 / 14
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

The term "guild" had been discussed in this context before, which is why I went with it.

I actually don't like the term guild or clan, I like something more akin to a "club" or "group." Possibly a militaristic term, like "Squadron," Platoon," or "Company."

Edited Fri 5th Feb 03:08 [history]

9. #9 / 14
    Standard Member paulharrow
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

There is definitely a need for something like this. I love playing teams, especially three teams of three on Europe, and even 3 teams on Global Warfare sometimes ends up being quite interesting, but too often you get a first timer joining the game, and they drop out after 1 or 2 turns, ruining what was going to be a really good game. In fact, it happens so frequently that I'd almost given up on joining team games.

Edited Thu 18th Feb 22:28 [history]

10. #10 / 14
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

you can be my wingman anytime paul

Don't Taze Me Bro!

11. #11 / 14
    Premium Member Slander
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

*Bump*  Smile

I think this would be a great thing to support.

I came to WarGear on my own, so I don't have a group of friends in the real world that I play with (i.e: know their emails, talk to regularly, could easily setup a team game together, etc...).  So I don't play team games much, but do enjoy them when I find a partner that I gel with.  Over time, I've met other players on WarGear that I've played several times and now have a friendly rapport with.  We all play at different times from different parts of the world - the major point of playing online on a system like this - but that makes it near impossible to be online at the same time to get on the same team when we try to setup a team game up.

We've tried to setup team games, and left messages to leave a slot open on a team for the other player, but that has sometime gone unnoticed/unheeded and we end up in a team game against each other.  Don't get me wrong, we still play and they can still be fun games - but it would be nice to setup a team game and know you're going to play with a specific partner that you've met on WarGear and want to team up with.

In my specific case, I'm only talking being able to setup a 2 player team game, with 2,3,4 teams.  So I just want to pick my partner when creating a game, to which they are invited to join.  If they do, we're on the same team.  All other teams, for what I personally care about, could still be randomly joined as they are now.

Anyway, long story short, if I could start a team game and know that I could reserve my partner's slot for a specific other player, I'd start and play more team games, and even create a tournament or two.

Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever.

12. #12 / 14
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

If WG had a guild/squadron/clan/club system.. I for one would be interested.  Why don't you start that thread Toaster, kicking it off with one of your ideas?

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

13. #13 / 14
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

If WG had a guild/squadron/clan/club system.. I for one would be interested.  Why don't you start that thread Toaster, kicking it off with one of your ideas?

+1

I'm for this system...it seems like the only way to create organized, selected teams for both the creators and the joiners.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

14. #14 / 14
    Standard Member j-bomb
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1969/GangsTribesClubs_-_whatever
    this has been brought up before and i like the idea.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)