235 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 10
    Premium Member Rictuar
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

its basically impossible to have a private tourney in a playgroup when the minimum number of invitees is 32

i realliy cant think of any reason why this change shouldnt be implemented

2. #2 / 10
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Choose Round Robin.

3. #3 / 10
    Premium Member Rictuar
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

thats.... a prescription not really a fix. i and my playgroup dont want 7 rounds a piece. we like to mix up the maps so a bunch of 3 round quick tourneys would be ideal.

in fact, to generalize, im really not sure why the tournaments have seemingly pointless limitations.

whats wrong with a tourney with n people? whats with the minimums

4. #4 / 10
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Mathematically, in order to select an unambiguous winner, a tournament needs a minimum number of starting contestants. This number varies depending on the style of tournament, which is why WarGear offers single elimination, swiss system, and round robin. But there are still minimum numbers of contestants required. So don't blame WarGear, blame math.

Here's a breakdown of tournament types, which provides more explanation: https://matchplay.events/tournaments#pairing

Edited Sun 6th Aug 14:32 [history]

5. #5 / 10
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

what the tourney structure should be, IMO, especially for private tourney:

1st - select # of players, then select number of rounds (or other format)

The number of players should be in multiples of the number of players per game.

6. #6 / 10
    Premium Member Rictuar
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:

Mathematically, in order to select an unambiguous winner, a tournament needs a minimum number of starting contestants. This number varies depending on the style of tournament, which is why WarGear offers single elimination, swiss system, and round robin. But there are still minimum numbers of contestants required. So don't blame WarGear, blame math.

Here's a breakdown of tournament types, which provides more explanation: https://matchplay.events/tournaments#pairing

without getting into round robin or swiss, an elimination tournament literally only needs x^n players where n is the number of rounds and x is the number of competitors per round

to thingol: i agree that there should be more maneuverability. i think that what you said might not necessarily dtermine a winner (discounting byes), but even such a case could be incorporated.

7. #7 / 10
    Premium Member Rictuar
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

to kjeld, my point is that it is simply the case that a classic elim tourney could be made with 4 competitors or 8 competitors - well under wargears too-high-for-practical-purposes limit

we dont need to get pedantic. just make a tourney system that works with the needs of the players. that currently doesnt exist, imo.

8. #8 / 10
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Having the possibility of private tournaments with 8 participants and 3 elimination rounds sounds good to me as long as it's not possible in the public sphere, where we have people competing for most tournament titles. 

9. #9 / 10
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

Having the possibility of private tournaments with 8 participants and 3 elimination rounds sounds good to me as long as it's not possible in the public sphere, where we have people competing for most tournament titles. 

Agreed. Public tourneys should have more refined standards.

10. #10 / 10
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'd agree that 2 or 3 round private tourneys could be doable. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)