1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 36
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/games/create?boardid=468

It's a very early build and hasn't been tested at all for balance, but it checks out for playability.

Like your grandpa, but angrier.

(If you need help with map design, look me up via AIM @ cramchakle)
    Edited Tue 12th Jan 15:21 [history]

2. #2 / 36
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

The map is a modifier heavy battle simulation using Forts, Towers, artillery, and several types of terrain. The first couple rounds, you can expect to see little of your enemy as it is important to secure tactically important areas of the map.

Helpful Hint: Use your cannons early in a round to soften hard targets and send the infantry in later in the turn.

3. #3 / 36
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

So I was thinking, hmmm 1776. Woulda been cool if they had cameras back then so we coulda seen what it was like. I know they had cameras in the Civil War, not sure how much earlier. I guess it was conceivable that someone who fought in the Revolution could have lived long enough in order to have their picture taken.

Of course they're all dead now, same for the Civial War vets. What about WWI? That ended in 1919 right? Well, it didn't really end, they just sorta hit the pause button while everybody bought better weapons for their kids to fight round 2 30 years later but for the sake of argument a WWI vet... damn that's 91 years ago! Even if some kid was like 12 and joined up to fight at the very end (like the Germans when they were desperate) that would make dude 103 years old. I wonder if there are any still alive?

Wikipedia to the rescue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_veterans_of_World_War_I

(Whoops I was wrong it ended in 1918.)

The oldest living verified World War I veteran is 109-year-old John Babcock, born 23 July 1900. - Dammmm.

On 27 May 2008, the last Central Powers veteran, Franz Künstler of Austria-Hungary, died at the age of 107. - Ha! We win!!

But wait, if the point of War is to kill people (well I guess maybe not the point but a means to an end) then shouldn't the last surviving veteran of WWI be declared the winner? You know, fly him to the UN and present him with a giant plaque that says "I Won WWI"? I think that would be only fair.

There's only 3 verified veterans left, one from the UK, one from Canada, and one from the US. I'm layin' my money on the Canadian =]

Sorry my mind is wandering today, carry on. Oh yeah and everyone go test out that board.

This is getting ludicrous, Risky's kinda-a-big-dealness has gone airborne and infected my signature now too. Wear your masks, it's coming for you next!

4. #4 / 36
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Sorry, can't focus on what you're typing, love your avatar

Cramchakle wrote: [anything]
    I agree

5. #5 / 36
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Looks like the link needed is http://www.wargear.net/games/create?boardid=468 to start a Beta game.

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

Seek Yours Today. Get Uncomfortable.

6. #6 / 36
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: Sorry, can't focus on what you're typing, love your avatar

Have to give him credit...at least he picked a US vaulter!

thats Allison Stokke a collegiate vaulter (from Cal i believe)...and hopeful for the London Olympics

and yeeesss yummy.

Don't Taze Me Bro!
    Edited Tue 12th Jan 10:06 [history]

7. #7 / 36
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

She goes to Cal?

EDIT: redacted for my own protection in any future TRO proceedings or accusations of stalking

I agree

8. #8 / 36
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Charlestown seems to have a max of 10 instead of 15 (not to get off topic or anything :P).

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

9. #9 / 36
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Am I missing it somewhere that says the Batteries are Artillery borders beyond 1 space?

What's Your Passion?

10. #10 / 36
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote: Am I missing it somewhere that says the Batteries are Artillery borders beyond 1 space?

Good call. It doesn't actually say that anywhere. I'll try to add in a note near the bottom with such an explanation. Busy at work today, but I'll get on it sometime this week.

11. #11 / 36
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That should probably be more explicit. The description isn't intended to remain unchanged, I think.

I agree

12. #12 / 36
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote: Am I missing it somewhere that says the Batteries are Artillery borders beyond 1 space?

That's not explicitly stated, but I was actually wondering if it made sense to make all of a Battery's borders be Artillery, even to adjacent hexes.

13. #13 / 36
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: She goes to Cal?

EDIT: redacted for my own protection in any future TRO proceedings or accusations of stalking

yeah i believe (IIRC) that the pic you used was from when she was still in HS....it was the one that...jumped her into internet fame...and jumpstarted lots of men's tickers.

Don't Taze Me Bro!

14. #14 / 36
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

2. Castle Island seems like it will never be used. It's cool if you want to put that in, but it seems too far out of the way to be useful.

My thoughts on Castle Island are that it is one of the few substantial bonuses on the map that one player or the other doesn't start with. Likewise, it adds another 'capital' to your collection, thus making you harder to eliminate, though, by the time you're down to only it, I figure you're pretty well done anyway.

I also figured it would be pretty easy to take for anyone willing to move in that direction.

All that said, I had been considering attributing it to the British in the setup. Your feedback may help push that agenda.

Cramchakle's Note: I tried to quote this post and ended up editing it instead. I can't find a way to go back. Sorry.

Edited Tue 12th Jan 15:25 [history]

15. #15 / 36
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Norseman wrote: [feedback]

Forgot to say: awesome map!  I think the idea is really cool, and the varied terrain and attack bonuses make for some interesting strategic decisions.

16. #16 / 36
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Mill Pond should have a Max of 5.

What's Your Passion?

17. #17 / 36
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Cramchackle wrote:

My thoughts on Castle Island are that it is one of the few substantial bonuses on the map that one player or the other doesn't start with. Likewise, it adds another 'capital' to your collection, thus making you harder to eliminate, though, by the time you're down to only it, I figure you're pretty well done anyway.

I also figured it would be pretty easy to take for anyone willing to move in that direction.

All that said, I had been considering attributing it to the British in the setup. Your feedback may help push that agenda.

Cramchakle's Note: I tried to quote this post and ended up editing it instead. I can't find a way to go back. Sorry.

I agree it's nice to have a neutral bonus that players can go after, but I imagine it would take a player 2-3 turns and maybe 10+ units to grab (this could easily be tested by playing against a dummy player a few times).  If my estimates are reasonable, the game would have to last at 4-5 turns for the player just to break even on his unit investment to take Castle Island, and that doesn't include the opportunity cost of using those 10+ units to clear neutrals instead of fight your opponent.

18. #18 / 36
    Standard Member bengaltiger
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Lower fort on small, upper middle island (I started as red) won't let me put more than ten units in it, but it's a fort so should have a 15 max.

Edit: Whoops, Yertle already said this... It's Charlestown.

Edited Thu 14th Jan 01:55 [history]

19. #19 / 36
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Anyone want to play another match on this board?

Edited Thu 14th Jan 10:28 [history]

20. #20 / 36
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I would, but I'm in the middle of one, and have a handful of other projects I'm trying to dig through in a timely manner.

Happy Birthday to the ground!!!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)