212 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 28
    Standard Member SexySass
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

I would like to export the log file to excel bc looking at it using the browser interface is not very user friendly, but perhaps this user is defective and doesn't know all the commands available LOL. regardless, if I can save it to excel then I don't need learn yet another app that does something that IMHO excel does better. Btw, I am brand new here and playing my first game and, I love this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SexySass

2. #2 / 28
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

are you talking about the game history log? 

which player are you using (defaults to native instead of flash)? which browser are you using? 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

3. #3 / 28
    Standard Member SexySass
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Yes the history log. I am using native with firefox browser, but can easily change to chrome or whatever would work the best. I have not tried flash yet is it better?

I just tried the flash player, again in FF browser and it is better but I would still like to export the file to excel. Thanks

Edited Mon 13th Oct 13:37 [history]

4. #4 / 28
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

there's not a way to export the game history log that i'm aware of. 

and both flash and native have essentially the same interfaces (4 basic buttons -- forget about the rewind and end buttons--, the slide bar and the turn ID pull down) along with the choice of how to see the history (full log, no log or combination log/map) so really doesn't matter which you choose. browser choice doesn't have a whole lot of impact either (other than IE is best to be avoided!).

tom (or someone else) will have to confirm the export though. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

5. #5 / 28
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

if you could, how would you like the history user interface to be to make it more friendly?

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

6. #6 / 28
    Standard Member SexySass
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

In response to your [weathertop] question about what I would like to see in the history file interface...

I would love to export the history file to excel bc I am a bit of an expert with excel. But looking at the current interface for the file, it is pretty basic. I would like to be able to:

save multiple copies [on site if necessary]

Sort the file by any column or row using additional criteria as needed

capture my own statistics from the file

do my own analysis of the file

scale the display to see more lines on the display or bigger lines depending on my need

have access to statistical functions similar to what is avail in excel

have other functions available for use so I can find every attack made against Norway for example [obviously in fog I would only get records I can see depending on level of fog]

I am sure I will have more, but basically, I would like the history file interface be excel or very excel like [if I can't export it]. I am an excel nerd. I have one project that has become obsolete bc I am having more fun setting up structures to manipulate the data than I am entering the data LOL.

Btw, I love the interfaces here. Very intuitive. The only one I would like changed [for now, I reserve my "Woman's Prerogative" to change my mind! LMAO!] is the history file interface.

Thx weathertop for your help and your question.

7. #7 / 28
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Save history log file?

Copy & Paste

8. #8 / 28
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

only if you're desperate, you'll have to scroll and repeat many many times, depending on how many turns have been taken.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

9. #9 / 28
    Standard Member SexySass
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Thanks Smoke but I looked at doing that and it would be incredibly difficult as Weathertop indicated.

10. #10 / 28
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

No! Not So!

I have a game going since December. It's incredibly tedious to play. It's Mad Bomber's fault.

History log file is over 14,000 lines. Open it up, wait a moment, click in the top left cell. Drag the window marker down to the bottom. Wait 20 seconds or so. Click in the bottom right cell once it shows up. Ctrl-c. Open excel. Ctrl-v. Elapsed time about a minute.

If you want automation, there are fairly easy to use window scrapers out there.

11. #11 / 28
    Standard Member SexySass
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Thanks Smoke! I will give that a try!{#emotions_dlg.clap}

Question: Which version of the history file do you use? I tried both players and could not do it in either one. I tried with mouse and with shift key and page down. It does not let me grab it

Edited Mon 13th Oct 22:13 [history]

12. #12 / 28
    Standard Member SexySass
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

The best I can do is capture it one page at a time and that is tedious and takes too long. When I get to the bottom of the page the file does not scroll, instead my cursor picks up the players and whatever else is on the screen below the file. Is there a setting somewhere I need to change?

13. #13 / 28
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

On the game page (not the player), look at the 3rd from last row on the info table.  It should say:

Log File View log

Click 'view log'.  This is the single page long log file.

Edited Mon 13th Oct 23:17 [history]

14. #14 / 28
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yes, Ozy's got it, that's the problem. Right here:

15. #15 / 28
    Standard Member SexySass
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Yay! Thank you guys! that works! {#emotions_dlg.clap}{#emotions_dlg.thumb}

16. #16 / 28
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

If you write some xcel macros or scripts or something to parse the log, let me know. I've been wanting to do something like that for a while.

17. #17 / 28
    Standard Member SexySass
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

That is my plan Ozyman

What would you like it to do?

Edited Tue 14th Oct 13:08 [history]

18. #18 / 28
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

As a map maker I'd like to use it to help analyze balance issues in my maps.  Things like - how often does the first player to get an elimination go on to win.  How often does possession of certain territories correlate with winning.  For maps with fixed seats - how often does one seat win compared to other seats (i.e. are starting positions equal).  Probably other stuff.

The problem I think is that to get good stats, you'd need to get logs from many many games, which would be a pain to do by hand.

I'd like to see Tom implement an easier way to grab  logs from all  public games that meet some criteria - for example a certain board & scenario, or even narrowed by # of players, or fog type.

I imagine something like this could be added to the api http://www.wargear.net/api

19. #19 / 28
    Standard Member SexySass
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Hey Ozyman, That can all be done, but like you said, I would need sufficient data to make a significant statistical sample. To get the data, I would need not only an easy way to download files, but I would need to be able to specify a set of criteria to the api and have it find and download all games meeting that criteria. It could be set up to download the files during non peak periods. Armed with the data, I could do the analysis and get the results for you.

20. #20 / 28
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

In terms of the API the way this could be done is two calls, one to query the game listings (board name / date start and end / teamplay or regular etc) and the other to download history for one game. You could then write a simple script to query and download history files.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)