1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 5
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Congratulations to Thijs, June's Competition Winner who wins a prize of $50 and our first ever double competition winner (after just four months!).

June 2014 Competition Winners

1 Thijs 2028
    2 Amidon37 1922
    3 Mad Bomber 1727
    4 kall 1573
    5 KillDawg 1513
    6 NWO 1480
    7 IRsmart 1463
    8 Tommy 1460
    9 Millertime 1456
    10 tvainio 1437

2. #2 / 5
    Standard Member Mostly Harmless
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Congrats, Thijs....

Not to be a buzz-kill, but I was curious to see how he accomplished this and so checked out his profile.  

I don't know if this has anything to do with June's results, but I was struck by some of the stats on the profile. 

How does one win 50 games in a row (without a loss)?    That seems to defy probability to the point where I wonder how valid that stat can be.     And how can you win 50 games in a row and only have an elimination streak of 37?   Shouldn't there be at least one elimination per game (the last remaining opponent) ... or were there many of these games that were won on forfeit or from the last player being booted?   

Tom, feel free to delete or move this post if it distracts from the main point of this thread.

3. #3 / 5
    Standard Member Thijs
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Yes, you are correct Harmless. Of those 50 games the ones not ending in elimination were boots. Some guys entered my games and never played. And I played only 1 vs 1 games of those 50. If I play games with 3 or more players I tend to be attacked a lot, just because of my high rating. Even if I'm not winning. And I really wanted to win this month. I am taking a break though for quite some time. So I wish you all the best in next month race!

4. #4 / 5
    Standard Member Mostly Harmless
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Thijs wrote:

Yes, you are correct Harmless. Of those 50 games the ones not ending in elimination were boots. Some guys entered my games and never played. And I played only 1 vs 1 games of those 50. If I play games with 3 or more players I tend to be attacked a lot, just because of my high rating. Even if I'm not winning. And I really wanted to win this month. I am taking a break though for quite some time. So I wish you all the best in next month race!

Thanks, but now after seeing what is involved to win it,  I just can't see myself investing the time and brain power to compete for it.   Smile    I was just struck, and am still a bit dumbfounded, that anyone could have even 37 wins in a row, particularly in two-player games where the luck of moving first and initial placement play such a large role.   For these reasons, even top players, like you, typically only experience slightly better than average win results in two-player games (such as the 60% lifetime win percentage you have).   So,  I'm still scratching my head over the probability of 37 consecutive.  

5. #5 / 5
    Premium Member Footfungus
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Wow that is impressive. Can I get an award for ending that massive streak? ;)

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)