2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 6
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm working on a 1600x915 board, which may seem large, but my opinion is that the width of this particular board is not so much an issue because of the War of the Roses like layout, where Marker/Banner images on one side of the board are out of play for most all of the game. The current file size limit for images is 2MB, which is fine for boards that don't use much in the way of transparency, but I'm finding that I'm having to dramatically posterize my images in order to get the file size down.   For those who aren't aware, the use of transparency is what enables designers to have the actual territories fill with player colors, yet have board texture.

The board image I'm currently working on pretty consistently clocks in at 3.1MB.   Posterizing is a major pain, and the resulting image quality is disappointing.  Really ..2MB is not considered anywhere near a large file size on the internet these days. Tom, is there any chance you could bump up the limit (especially on the board and fog images)?  Capping it at 3MB would make a huge image quality difference (and I'd still have to posterize).

Screen resolution capabilities are getting larger and larger, and "epic" boards have an audience on this site ..players who are willing to do a little scrolling around the world of the game. If fact, the entirety of the board I'm working on sits comfortably on my 21" iMac screen with room for the designer tools (think player) not to mention quite a bit more width. I think a 4MB limit is not unreasonable, and would handle most anything coming down the pike ..at least in the near future ;)

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Sat 24th May 10:27 [history]

2. #2 / 6
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Sure, images are locally cached by the browser so they are only downloaded once unless updated by the board designer. What's a reasonable limit... 8MB?

Edited Sun 25th May 12:28 [history]

3. #3 / 6
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Jeesh - 8MB could be an invitation to build monster boards.  Looks like the issue is becoming more about playability than board size.   The one I'm working on now pretty much fills the screen and is at 3.5MB without posterizing.  I would think 5 or 6MB could handle most any board that doesn't require too much scrolling, but I'm sure someone will come up with a design that pushes that paradigm for play. Nonetheless, 8 should be more than enough.  Thanks Tom!

Edited Sun 25th May 12:42 [history]

4. #4 / 6
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I've never stressed about anything over 4MB so I would think 8 would be lots... you know... for a while. ;)

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

5. #5 / 6
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I've bumped it up to 16MB - should be good for a while {#emotions_dlg.thumb}

6. #6 / 6
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Woo Hoo! Thanks.

"TOM FOR PRESIDENT"

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)