217 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 9
    Standard Member paulharrow
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

So, the board championship is now considered the primary ranking method?  Not that it matters at all, but a curious change.

2. #2 / 9
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yes that's right - as per the thread in the announcements area, it's intended to promote competition across all the game boards rather than being just a single measure (which can be heavily influenced by single game wins esp with large numbers of players).

3. #3 / 9
    Standard Member Mostly Harmless
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Forgive me if this has already been beat to death elsewhere as it seems like the kind of topic that would be....

Regardless of the points you're using to determine ranking, doesn't using the total instead of an average result in top rankings being based more on longevity than anything else?   I can see the value of using a total on a "seasonal" basis (meaning it starts over occassionally) so that new players have an opportunity to be considered. 

I know ranking is a very complex issue for both political and technical perspectives.

From the standpoint of trying to build participation in the site, I'd recommend trying to develop a few different ranking systems that are meaningful but motivating to different classes of players. 

4. #4 / 9
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Mostly Harmless wrote:

From the standpoint of trying to build participation in the site, I'd recommend trying to develop a few different ranking systems that are meaningful but motivating to different classes of players. 

I agree, that's why I would like to see all the columns sortable so that you can see who is ranked #1 in wins/games played/lost/%.  I'd also like to see rankings or lists or something for Map Designers.

A past month or past 6 months ranking system would be cool to see too, although I still think "longevity Rankings" should be THE ranking, which should motivate players to play longer :P

But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.

5. #5 / 9
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

personally i could give a rats ass about the ranking system. i don't monitor it, i don't use it, i rarely even look at them. my motivation is to play, usually to my utmost. i like to see how i've averaged out for myself (like have i won more games than i've lost; or have i beat the percentages), but not really compared to anyone else.

Don't Taze Me Bro!

6. #6 / 9
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Mostly Harmless wrote:

Regardless of the points you're using to determine ranking, doesn't using the total instead of an average result in top rankings being based more on longevity than anything else?  

Harmless,

The mechanics of the scoring system mean that your total score soon "peaks out" no matter how much you play.  It only takes a few weeks to reach the top if your win % is high enough.  Someone who plays for months and months (or hundreds of games) is not going to get any higher in the rankings unless their win % improves.

Regards,

Paul.

7. #7 / 9
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

With an overall ranking, the difficulty is that specializing in a single board you dominate would be rewarded, not mastery of several boards. Nonetheless, Harmless is right - any time you have a total-based ranking system, it can become more about effort than performance. Longevity-based rankings may be nice for the users here from the beginning, but we should assume that we want new users to feel as though they could participate in the quest for glory.

As for this scoring system "peaking out", this is the one place where I am convinced this system is flawed. With other games I've played using a different system, my ranking settles in about 20 games. On WF, it was 40-60 for most boards, sometimes over 100 for others. There was a user who reached 1600 in 25 games with a remarkable performance on this one map. Another user with a great but clearly less remarkable performance on the same map, reached 1900 in 100 games. This is a slow equilibrium.

The ranking problem for this type of game is definitely very hard.

8. #8 / 9
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

It would be cool if along with all the other rankings there could be a "Knockout ranking" where you get 1 point every time you eliminate a player even if you don't win the game.

even a "Elimination Tracker" on your profile page would be cool.

Edited Sun 3rd Jan 12:26 [history]

9. #9 / 9
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Maybe this was obvious to everyone else, but it only just occured to me that the old method of using the overall ranking score discouraged people from playing the two player boards (or games with only 2 or 3 players) once they're score started to approach the 1500 level. Anyway, it's just another positive point of the decision to switch.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)