Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 23
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote: Expound Please Attila.

Good idea.  Belongs on a different thread ..unless it is seen as the solution to the issue being discussed in this thread.

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

2. #22 / 23
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:
    M57 wrote:

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear.

My point is that if entrance to a public tourney discriminates in any way, it should not count towards the stats.

E.g., if you were to open a private tournament for 16 players and invite 15 of your friends, then switch it to public to fill the last seat, you have all but created a private tournament yet managed to have it "count".

In fact, the idea of being able to force teams somewhat runs counter to the fairness paradigm that I'm alluding to.  Really, a "Team" stat should belong to the team, not the individual.  But there's really no good way around that.  Bridge players, for example, try to pair themselves with better bridge players for this very reason.  As a result, there are "Pro" bridge players out there that hire themselves out to be paired with lesser players to help them raise their rankings.

I agree with M.  It seems this system would get gamed too easily.

What might fit the bill here is implementation of the "clan" system we had been talking about some time ago.

Though this probably belongs in a different thread I'll just say that you can skew teams already whether it's public or private by telling your friends to join faster.  You can do this in creating team games where you pick your own team already whether it's tournament or public games (people did this in Starcraft too).

In my experience private tournaments are probably harder to win than public tournaments ("the masses") so switching it doesn't matter AS much to me.

If you want to differentiate stats team-wise you can certainly have two stats (picked teams & random teams) but I think separating team games from single player games (and private from public) is enough differentiation in the ranking tables.  I think people care more about single-player rankings than team-rankings, if indeed they care about rankings at all.

Edited Thu 8th Nov 17:41 [history]

3. #23 / 23
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Andernut wrote:

Though this probably belongs in a different thread I'll just say that you can skew teams already whether it's public or private by telling your friends to join faster.  You can do this in creating team games where you pick your own team already whether it's tournament or public games (people did this in Starcraft too).

I have considered this as well ..and no, I think it is relevant to this thread.  As much as it pains me to say it, I think it is a point that should be considered as an argument for allowing seats to be reserved.

I personally need to consider that the slope may not be all that slippery.

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)