206 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 10
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I assume players that have been banned have had their names changed (ie zdisabled36 and zdisabled25) although they still display on the Rankings table, seems like they should not be shown.

w0000t to returning to being more active with WG! I may even have a board or two in the works with refreshed fire!

2. #2 / 10
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Good idea, and while we are at it, can we remove people who are inactive and did not really play many games?  For example, 'has not played a game in one year and played less than 10 games'.  We do not need to delete their account, just remove them from the rankings lists

3. #3 / 10
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

I assume players that have been banned have had their names changed (ie zdisabled36 and zdisabled25) although they still display on the Rankings table, seems like they should not be shown.

I believe Zdisabledxx is for players that have asked Tom to have their account disabled. IMO they can stay in the rankings as they have earned their points.

But I agree that banned players should be removed from the rankings, and this is what is done already.

4. #4 / 10
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

SquintGnome wrote:

Good idea, and while we are at it, can we remove people who are inactive and did not really play many games?  For example, 'has not played a game in one year and played less than 10 games'.  We do not need to delete their account, just remove them from the rankings lists

I don't see any reason for removing such accounts from the ranking lists. But I would like to see accounts deleted when no game have been played after a year.

5. #5 / 10
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

SquintGnome wrote:

... 'has not played a game in one year and played less than 10 games' ... just remove them from the rankings lists

Isn't the minimum games played filter on the rankings sufficient?

6. #6 / 10
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Toto wrote:
    Yertle wrote:

I believe Zdisabledxx is for players that have asked Tom to have their account disabled. IMO they can stay in the rankings as they have earned their points.

But I agree that banned players should be removed from the rankings, and this is what is done already.

The zdisabledxx accounts are either ones where the player has requested their account is deleted or ones where the account was disabled due to cheating.

Deleting an account would cause database inconsistencies as games would have references to non-existent players.

To remove the players from the rankings would require terminating all the games that they won and then re-indexing the rankings. This is easy to do but would be unfair because those games were genuinely won by the disabled players (bear in mind that any games involving cheating using multiple accounts have already been removed from the stats). I don't think this is the right course of action.

7. #7 / 10
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Tom, can you do this?

Step 1 - Replace all zdisabledxx players in all games with the player 'Disabledaccount'

Step 2 - Delete all account from disabled players

This should retain database integrity while allowing the removal of uneeded accounts.  Not sure

8. #8 / 10
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    Toto wrote:
    Yertle wrote:

The zdisabledxx accounts are either ones where the player has requested their account is deleted or ones where the account was disabled due to cheating  ...

Did not realized that. Thinking about it, I would prefer the names to be kept, because sometimes you wonder why you don't see no more some players. Or in some cases where you knew someone was a cheater but had no proof, you could be interested in knowing this guy as been caught (especially as it is very likely that he will come back under another name). Names could be changed by adding to the original name "banned for multi-accounts".

9. #9 / 10
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I think you're right that banned players should have their names retained. The reason to rename them dates back to before the script was written which reclaims ranking points from games where the player cheated using multiple accounts.

Players who request that their account are deleted will still be renamed to 'zdisabledxx'

But - some players who were banned for cheating using multiple accounts will still appear in the rankings as in some cases they were actually OK players who only benefited to a certain degree from cheating using multiple accounts. Once you subtract the games they cheated in they may still be highly ranked. Something to bear in mind.

10. #10 / 10
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

... But - some players who were banned for cheating using multiple accounts will still appear in the rankings as in some cases they were actually OK players who only benefited to a certain degree from cheating using multiple accounts. Once you subtract the games they cheated in they may still be highly ranked. Something to bear in mind.

I don't know about that. I guess it's ok.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)