221 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 9
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

#1 I'm wondering why there's such a huge gap between say first and second on the board rankings.

#2 How are the points decided for each board. I know one board where 6th is worth 6 and another where 2nd is only worth 2 while .

#3 Since it appears that the way to really move in the champ points is to get top ranked, and everything else is like hording pennies to make a dollar.  How do you pick a board to go for top ranking? 

2. #2 / 9
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

From the help section :

Board Rankings and Championship Points:

At the completion of a non-team public game, substitutes the player’s Board Ranking Score numbers into the Score attributes of the formula to determine the increase or decrease of a Board Ranking score.  Again, individual Board Ranking scores are separate scores from your Global Ranking score and neither score affects the other.

Board Rankings are also used to calculate a player’s Championship Points.  Once you obtain a certain ranking on a board you will receive Championship Points, although only the top 10 players of a board will obtain Championship Points.  The thresholds for these Championship Points are as follows:

1500+ score - 20 Championship Points 1450+ score - 15 Championship Points 1400+ score - 12 Championship Points 1350+ score - 10 Championship Points 1300+ score - 8 Championship Points 1250+ score - 6 Championship Points 1200+ score - 4 Championship Points 1150+ score - 3 Championship Points 1100+ score - 2 Championship Points 1050+ score - 1 Championship Points

If 10 players have a ranking of 1500+, then the number one ranked player will obtain 20 Championship Points, number two will obtain 15, number three will obtain 12, and so on.  In the case of a tie, the player with the highest H Rating (see below) stat for the board will obtain the highest amount of Championship Points.  In the case of a H Rating tie, the player with the most recent completed Ranked game will obtain the highest amount of Championship Points...

All this is of course arbitrary.

Edited Fri 19th Oct 03:29 [history]

3. #3 / 9
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Lol thanks Toto,

I don´t read instruction manuals either.  =P

Okay, ignore my 1st and 2nd question.

How do you pick a board to go for top ranking? Do you have a strategy or just play the ones you like?

4. #4 / 9
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Focus on less competitive maps.  The more competitive, the harder it is to get to the top ranks.  A 1500 score on an obscure map is likely to give you 20 CP.  A 1500 score on a popular map gives you nothing.  Note that less competitive does not imply less desirable.. the boring normal maps tend to be popular while the interesting maps tend to be obscure.

Focus on new maps.  If you can figure out a new map quickly, you can get your score up quickly while everyone else is still learning.  New maps are also a blank slate where your score will be worth points.

Focus on maps that you are good at.  I try out new maps all the time, and if I win the first couple games, I am more likely to keep playing that map.  However, I do frequently play maps that I am not rated high in if I enjoy them.

Focus on maps that you enjoy.  To get to 1500 CP you are going to be playing a lot of games.. if you don't enjoy playing a map, is it really worth getting CP from it?  I like having a high CP score, but I got there because I like playing new and interesting risk maps.

Play lots of games, and play a large variety of maps.  Honestly I don't often sit down and decide to go for CP on a particular map.  I am playing a bunch of maps at any give time, and as time goes on, I gradually work my way up in rating on most of them.  One day you will realize you have a 1300 or 1400 score on a map, and you are within striking distance of those 20 points.

5. #5 / 9
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

itsnotatumor wrote:

#3 Since it appears that the way to really move in the champ points is to get top ranked, and everything else is like hording pennies to make a dollar.  How do you pick a board to go for top ranking? 

You can focus on one (or a few) boards and try to get the 20 points, but I prefer to play a variety of boards.  If you play a lot, or are around for awhile, (and win of course) the pennies add up.  I have points on 59 boards and the most I have is 10 points, which I have on 3 boards.

And generally games with about 8 players have the highest expected value vs. time invested outcome.

6. #6 / 9
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Thanks guys,

I'm trying some new boards and creating more of my faves right now.  Any of the less played maps you guys would suggest for coolness?

7. #7 / 9
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

And generally games with about 8 players have the highest expected value vs. time invested outcome.

Hey Amidon, is this your personal experience over time or did someone calculate it out?

Right now I seem to be getting the most bang from 4-7 player games, but that's because my H rating drops off huge at 8+ ones so far.

8. #8 / 9
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Personal experience.  I probably should have wrote 5-8.

9. #9 / 9
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I feel like 5 - 6 player games are optimal, I think it depends on your level of experience and play style.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)