189 Open Daily games
4 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 26
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I did a brief (read as: not very thorough) search of the forums and couldn't find this:
    I know how SOS and SODOS are calculated to determine who is the eventual winner of a Swiss System tournament.  But what is the process to decide who advances to which game during the tourney?

For instance in this tourney:
    http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/641

I understand how hoterpone and I both ended up in the "championship" game (of sorts) but what metric was used to pick Razing Aces and Quazimoto?
    It can't be SOS or SODOS, because either way, Mad Max should have made it into the finals then.
    Is it just random assignment of the who of the 12 players who have records of 1-1?

2. #2 / 26
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i believe that was the case; but can't recall for sure.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

3. #3 / 26
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Ahhh - it is quite possible that we only use those measures to break ties and not to determine seating. How do we determine seating?

e^ix=cos x + i*sin x. Tell your friends.

4. #4 / 26
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Randomly I believe.

5. #5 / 26
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I'm not so good at the maths, but I'd think that would increase the likelihood of ties, where if you used the tie breakers to determine seating in the successive rounds, those tie breaker metrics would have a tendency to diverge.

No?

6. #6 / 26
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:

It can't be SOS or SODOS, because either way, Mad Max should have made it into the finals then.
    Is it just random assignment of the who of the 12 players who have records of 1-1?

Yes, exactly. Is there a better (fairer) way to do it)?

7. #7 / 26
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This might be the opposite of the way some would suggest using the SOS or SOSOS when scheduling, but I'm thinking of an odd way to guarantee there are no ties come the final round. Basically, always use the SOS/SOSOS to eliminate the odd man out.

At it's simplest, consider a Swiss where three players have 3-1 records going into the final round.  Just pair the top two by SOS. 

Backing this paradigm in to previous rounds, pairings in all games would be based on SOS, always pitting #1 against #2, 3-4, 5-6, etc..  Over time, the SOS's (and SOSOS's) would diverge pretty dramatically, and the winner will not only have had the most difficult schedule, but also will always play the #2 player in the final.

When there are SOS ties (which I think there would be in earlier rounds), the SOSOS would be consulted using the same paradigm.

Disclaimer:  I come up with these zany ideas pretty early in the morning, then I have a a cup of coffee and reality usually sets in.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Sat 19th May 06:05 [history]

8. #8 / 26
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

So isn't this just the same thing as how the overall winner is determined now?  Makes sense to have it determine the top players from each round.

The only benefit I see from a random selection is the concept of a Wildcard.  Say you have 7 players with the same record after one round in 4-player matches.  The 8th slot gets chosen from the next-best record and becomes the Wildcard. 

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

9. #9 / 26
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:

So isn't this just the same thing as how the overall winner is determined now?  Makes sense to have it determine the top players from each round.

I'm not suggesting changing the way the overall winner is determined. I'm suggesting changing the way that players are matched against each other in later rounds.  Currently I believe it is random.

Currently, if 3 players enter the last round with the same record, the final match-up is randomly selected with one player as odd man out.

Consider (and I'm pulling these numbers out of my butt).

SOS         SOSOS

A        9               27

B        8               25

C        7               23

Let's say A is randomly matched against C and B plays someone with an inferior record.

C beats A, and B wins his match.  It's  possible for B and C to end up with the same SOS and SOSOS's.

Using my criteria A would always play B in the final round.  If B and C both win their matches, B will win the tournament having clearly played the tougher schedule.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    Edited Sat 19th May 10:31 [history]

10. #10 / 26
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:

I'm not so good at the maths, but I'd think that would increase the likelihood of ties, where if you used the tie breakers to determine seating in the successive rounds, those tie breaker metrics would have a tendency to diverge.

It sounds like BTF and M57 are saying the same thing here, no?  

Concept being that the SOS and SOSOS tiebreakers be used to not only determine overall tournament winner but also be used to determine seating for successive rounds.

Makes sense to do!

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

11. #11 / 26
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:
    BorisTheFrugal wrote:

It sounds like BTF and M57 are saying the same thing here, no?  

I sensed that though we were saying the same thing in terms of using SOS and SOSOS to determine seating (really it's his idea), we might have been thinking the opposite regarding how that might be accomplished. Some might be tempted to pair the lowest against the highest to create the divergence BTF speaks of.  I worry that method would backfire whenever the underdogs win.

Edited Sat 19th May 16:49 [history]

12. #12 / 26
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

That sounds like a good approach to me M57.

13. #13 / 26
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'd be curious what Hugh and Amidon think about the solution.  I haven't tried modelling it to see if I can break it, but on the surface it looks like it could be air-tight.

14. #14 / 26
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

The proposal is to use SOS, then SOSOS, then Random, for seating? Matching the top brackets in succession? That's reasonable.

15. #15 / 26
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote:

The proposal is to use SOS, then SOSOS, then Random, for seating? Matching the top brackets in succession? That's reasonable.

Yes.

...but does it guarantee a clear winner, without the need for a tie-breaker beyond SOSOS?

16. #16 / 26
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Hugh wrote:

Yes.

...but does it guarantee a clear winner, without the need for a tie-breaker beyond SOSOS?

Have we had a Swiss tie yet? The heuristic of hardest schedule seems to minimize the likelihood. With computer experiments, we could either exhaust possibilities in a lot of cases or find a counterexample. (The structure of round robins allows for clean arguments/examples, but not so for Swiss.)

Anyway, open question, left as an exercise to the audience.

17. #17 / 26
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Hugh wrote:

Yes.

Point of clarification - I think Hugh's restatment is missing a step, but he is correct for the sake of this argument:  The proposal is to use Tournament Record as the first determining factor, then use SOS, SOSOS, and then Random.

18. #18 / 26
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

BTF's edit covers it.

I'm just thinking out loud here. Using this method, if a player who has lost in earlier rounds to someone "in the running" continues to lose, they could potentially push that winning player out of the running.  Put another way, once you win a game against someone, generally speaking, you want them to do well coming down the stretch in order to keep your secondary and tertiary numbers high.  Therefore, you are potentially at a disadvantage when you are pitted against the weakest of players in the early rounds.

I don't have a problem with this; it seems to be worth the up-side - as long as the first round is a completely random draw.

Come to think of it, this is not really different than the current method.

Edited Wed 23rd May 11:26 [history]

19. #19 / 26
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

M57:  2 thoughts:

1) I think that it doesn't matter if they lose on their 2nd round, because the seat assignment for 2nd round games (using SOS and SOSOS) will be chosen prior to them losing their 2nd round game, because Swiss System isn't played multiple rounds at a time.  This will come into play for the 3rd round, though, in which case....

2)  If the loser player loses subsequent rounds, then they are actually a bad player (relative to the rest of the tournament players).  As such, the "in the running" player's ranking SHOULD slip down the rankings because that win he got in Round 1 is technically worth less (because it was against a worse player than originally expected).

20. #20 / 26
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I don't care for how Swiss tourneys are resolved now so I don't play them.   SOSOSOSOSOS makes sense to me for round robin since everyone plays one another, but I don't like the idea of losing a tie-breaker in Swiss because I randomly drew a "weaker" schedule. I also don't enjoy playing out tournament games for which I have no chance of winning the tourney.

I think Swiss should be melded with an elimination type system.   (Basically if, after playing out the regular number of swiss games, there is a tie then more games are played by the top players until there is no longer a tie.) 

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)