198 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 14
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

A couple of months ago I talked with Tom about updating the Global Warfare map with a bunch of scenarios and better graphics.  Finally getting to it.

See the thread "Global Warfare Scenarios Update" for details on the Scenarios.

Graphics are not my strong suit, so I need someone else to help here.  Preferably many someones since each scenario can get it's own image.

I am not exactly sure how to handle this, but I can here some people shouting "contest".  So, if we get enough submissions we will hold a vote on best looking graphic and we will make that the base board and give that image to more of the scenarios.

Since we need a deadline how about March 15?

PM me when you have a graphic and we can discuss how to get it to me.

Basic guidelines -
    Keep the size the same (101 x 594)
    Make it so the territory markers don't need to move.

"Sign" your image if you wish.

Here is a link to the current image
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24525669/Global%20Warfare.png

Custom fog is ok also -

Any thoughts on this post in this thread -

2. #2 / 14
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I think this is a great idea and I think it would be nice if there could be a number of maps/scenarios by different designers if possible.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

3. #3 / 14
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Why not make this competition replace all the current standard risk maps?  (War, Wargear Warfare, Global Warfare)  Top X designs would all become scenarios under the new board. 

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

4. #4 / 14
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

Keep the size the same (101 x 594)

FYI - image size is 1010px × 594px

5. #5 / 14
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Is there a reason that the dimensions and placement of territories has to be exact?  After all, everything in the designer is adjustable from scenario to scenario.

And besides, what about those tree-hugging Hobo-Dyer fans that are offended by the inherent discriminatory implications of the Mercator cartographic technique?

Some players want to play on their laptops and prefer a compact board, while others are going to play on their large screen HDTVs, and don't want to see pixels.  If we're really thinking about the future of the site, we should consider that one 1010 x 594 size doesn't necessarily fit all.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.

6. #6 / 14
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Is there a reason that the dimensions and placement of territories has to be exact?  After all, everything in the designer is adjustable from scenario to scenario.

Probably to avoid the pain and potential breaks/more drastic changes.

7. #7 / 14
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

@Attila - retiring boards is not clean, so it seems best to keep all the current ones in circulation.  Wargear Warfare is by far the most popular board on the site - so not touching it seems to make sense.  Global Warfare needs a reason for being, so this is it.

@M57 - I love this site, but I have other things to do also.  I'd rather not take the chance that I have to go through every scenario I created and move things around.  If someone wants to create a board for a scenario titled "Compact" and a board to go with it for small screens that sounds fine to me.

8. #8 / 14
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

I'd rather not take the chance that I have to go through every scenario I created and move things around.  If someone wants to create a board for a scenario titled "Compact" and a board to go with it for small screens that sounds fine to me.

Moving everything around would be the responsibility of the designer ...not you.

The way to do this is to have prospective designers create their boards under their own accounts.  Then go through the normal Development and even Review process.  When approved, tom simply moves the image and xml files to the new scenario location.

9. #9 / 14
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Fine with that.  What I am looking for primarily is a base image to replace the one that is there.

10. #10 / 14
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

At that point why doesn't someone just submit a separate map?  You could retire yours ..or not.

Or is it all about the stats the site wishes to preserve?

11. #11 / 14
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm assuming the new image needs to be dual layer and support Fill mode?

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

12. #12 / 14
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

@M57 - not sure what you mean with your last comment - Right now I am looking for a new image for Global Warfare and suggestions for basic scenarios.  If someone wants to do more then that is cool too.

@Attila - Support Fill mode - yes - I should have said that -

Dual layer - not necessarily - there are a number of really nice looking boards that are not dual layer.

13. #13 / 14
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I agree there's no need to keep territories in the exact same spot, it's really easy to move them around.

14. #14 / 14
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

There's no question the current map works fine and gets the job done.  I think the need for scenarios is probably more important at this point.

That said..  I think there's a medium-term need for boards that take advantage of dual layers and fog.  I think it would be cool to have a new board (or even better to stats purposes to use WarGear Warfare) that is populated by a number of scenarios by different designers.

Boards large and small could be featured, some simple, some highly stylized.  The only requirement would be that the borders are identical from a game-play point of view.

Another possibility would be for there to be a competition for boards in a number of categories. The first year there could be something like 3 size related categories using the same game-play criteria. (small, med, large).  Over time competition for these slots could be yearly or bi-yearly.

Edited Thu 23rd Feb 21:58 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)