2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 10
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Invention

Let me lead off by saying I like this board.

but WHY are boards still passing the review phase with attack display set to arrows instead of circles with massive attack borders like this?  From the artillery section if you move past missile I can barely pick out territories I want to attack with the arrows.  It's annoying and should be fixed.

$0.02

2. #2 / 10
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

To be fair to the review board, this was brought up by someone in the review game.  I had also discussed with some people in a dev game prior to the review.  Some preferred arrow attack some preferred circle attack.  Obviously circle attack is cleaner, but arrow attack has the advantage of being able to mouse over borders to see the attack & defense dice sides.

I personally like the arrow attack, but I think I am in the minority so I will change it in the next few days.

3. #3 / 10
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

In this case it's not an aesthetic choice as much as it's a playability problem.  From anything above missile it's difficult to choose territories to attack.

TOM - What we could use here is the ability to change the border display for a specific territory while retaining the boards border display setting for the rest of the territories.

Edited Mon 9th Jan 22:47 [history]

4. #4 / 10
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Well, I've played a lot of games and never really found it difficult,  but maybe that is because I am more familiar with the board than the average player.   I'd rather Tom work on other more interesting features, and I'm happy to change it to circle attack mode.

5. #5 / 10
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I have no problem with the circles except that it is difficult to check the specifics of border mods. If some clear way to view border mods in circle mode is proposed (i.e. as simple as in arrow mode), that would be fine. But as is, I am not a fan of the circles.

6. #6 / 10
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Viper wrote:

In this case it's not an aesthetic choice as much as it's a playability problem.  From anything above missile it's difficult to choose territories to attack.

TOM - What we could use here is the ability to change the border display for a specific territory while retaining the boards border display setting for the rest of the territories.

this sounds like a good solution..  How would you set it up in the designer so that it is both not cumbersome to use and doesn't clutter the designer?

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

7. #7 / 10
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ideally, it would start out as circle mode to choose, once chosen it would switch to arrow mode where you could get your information (tho i think arrow mode needs to be updated a bit yet anyway).

alternatively the circles themselves would have the color & line style altered depending on border. similar to now:
    color
    white  = even
    green = attack positive
    red     = attack negative

line styles
    solid        = normal attack
    sunburst = artillery
    dashed   = view only
    fortify only?

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Tue 10th Jan 10:59 [history]

8. #8 / 10
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The circle colors do change don't they?  I'm fairly certain they do, but the thing is you can't hover over them to see the dice mods like you can with the arrows.  So you don't know if the red is 5vs6 or 2vs6 until you make the selection.

The line styles for circle mode make sense and would be cool to see (as long as it doesn't make them too hard to see).

9. #9 / 10
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I would think that if the lines were there you might be able to mouse over them like you can the arrows now (well assuming you can actually get the arrow and not the territory like i seem to most of the time!).

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

10. #10 / 10
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I'll see what I can do - I have a few bugs to fix in the Player which I'm working on next.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)