223 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 8
    Standard Member YuriZ
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I've noticed some players just refuse to surrender even though there is no way on earth they're ever going to win. A player told me it's an honor thing? Personally i would rather have my opponent surrendering than to play a long empty game. What are your thoughts on this? Do you want your opponent to surrender, and do you surrender yourself? If you don't im interested in the reason as well :)

2. #2 / 8
    Standard Member Trabi
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Have you ever been playing a game (not just wargear), especially when you were new, and were excited to see the game develop with your position getting stronger and stronger, only to have a person surrender?  It is kind of a let down.  Some people get joy in the satisfaction of playing a game to completion and taking over the last territory.  I think this is particularly true for newer players.

Also, consider that some players are not experienced enough to realize that their cause is hopeless and that they will never win.  And there are many different maps and card turn in value schemes that complicate the analysis of "is it hopeless?"

And a persons' ego might not let them surrender.  Emotions are difficult to understand and predict.

If I had to generalize an answer, I would expect higher rated players to surrender more frequently than lower rated players.

3. #3 / 8
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I (almost) always play them out because I (almost) always play to win.  Never give up.

When a player surrenders to me - usually it's a bit of a letdown.  What Trabi said "Some people get joy in the satisfaction of playing a game to completion and taking over the last territory."

4. #4 / 8
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I will surrender a game when I am sure to lose.  However, if there is even a small chance of victory I will keep playing.

5. #5 / 8
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Now that surrendering is not a "statistic" there is all but no reason not to surrender once a game is down to 2 players and the outcome is all but certain.   Chess players resign and quarterbacks take a knee.   It would only be unsporting if surrendering affected the outcome when there are more than two players at the table, and for this reason, it is not allowed unless all players accept.

Generally speaking I also fight hard to the end.  But in a lightning game, I'd rather surrender than time out (which is very inconsiderate to your opponent) when playing a game where I'm sure to lose in a 2 or 3 turns anyways.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Wed 9th Nov 19:49 [history]

6. #6 / 8
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Usually by the time I feel I no longer have any chance, the game is only a turn or two from being over anyway.  I've offered to surrender when I can tell the game is over, but will still take a couple turns to play out, because I know some players want the thrill of finishing me off, but others probably just want the win.

7. #7 / 8
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I surrender most often in Simulgear games - when the outcome is certain but playing out to the end can take many more turns.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

8. #8 / 8
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I never surrender due to I've seen wayyyyy to many games where player's "surrender" (give up) when they still had a shot and also I've come back or had someone come back against me from those hopeless situations.  There is a line between still playing and being a jerk by running around making an endless game, I won't do that but I'll play till the end.  Personally I think all players should.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)