230 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 9
    Standard Member Lucasj
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

I have played several games on this map, and I always seem to be doing well to begin with, then just getting dominated by my opposition. Does anyone have any pointers I could use to do better on this map?

2. #2 / 9
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Lucasj wrote:

I have played several games on this map, and I always seem to be doing well to begin with, then just getting dominated by my opposition. Does anyone have any pointers I could use to do better on this map?

Hi Lucasj,

Very good question.  World War is basically the classic "Domination" style map akin to the original RISK board game.  Other variants/versions of this on a world map setting are: Wargear Warfare, War, Colossal Crusade, and Global Warfare.  A quick look through the rankings on these maps and you'll notice a handful of players that are either at or very near the top: ecko, poloquebec, Toto, Djembe, Davidny, Dud, etc. (no disrespect to those that weren't mentioned).

Toto and Djembe especially seem to have developed their skills on these boards.  So, other than being Belgian, which we can't all emulate, what strategies do these and other top players use?

There are some good conversations here:

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1027p1/These_strategies_may_be_useful

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1342/Wargear_Warfare

My main point of advice to you would be some basic principles that I live by and that I've seen others on the site mention:

1) Be patient yet determined - there's (usually) plenty of time to think through your moves

2) Work towards a goal, both short and long-term - bonuses, card sets, eliminations, etc.

3) Manage your strength - don't overextend, let others do your work for you, etc.

4) Know when to stop attacking

5) Know what you and your enemy can and cannot see (fog games)

Hope these help.  I'd of course also suggest viewing the games of the top players to see what other tips you pick up!

~ATH

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

3. #3 / 9
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

You may be going out to strong.  Very often the early leader gets ganged up on and driven out.  It is usually better to hang back a bit and wait for that to play out on someone else and then make a move (or even wait some more depending on the board and the # of players.)

4. #4 / 9
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

And with a board that size with a large number of players its usually who gets a couple well timed eliminations that wins.  In many large games I sit back gathering units and just wait until I see a weak player to take out.

5. #5 / 9
    Standard Member Lucasj
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Ah, Thanks guys, great info. Also, do you think I should try what Yertle said in one of the threads about being one of the strongest players, but not looking like it? That tends to work in other boards.

6. #6 / 9
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Lucasj wrote:

Also, do you think I should try what Yertle said in one of the threads about being one of the strongest players, but not looking like it? That tends to work in other boards.

I concur! :D

7. #7 / 9
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

When everyone playing is a newb, you can win just by making smart "local" decisions.  Expanding quickly, but not so quickly that you can't defend your territory, etc.

As the people you play with get a bit better, they realize that they need to focus a bit more on the 'leader' to drag her back down.  That's when it can get very frustrating for some people.  They know they are playing better than everyone else, but they are still not winning because they get ganged up on.

At this point it becomes more about convincing everyone else not to attack you.  Two ways to do this: #1) Hide your strength to no one knows you are the strongest (this is easiest on boards with some fog).  #2) Put so many units on your borders that players decide to attack elsewhere.

8. #8 / 9
    Standard Member Djembe
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:

So, other than being Belgian, which we can't all emulate, ...

Yeah, we know that we are unique! (not sure it's in a good or bad way though... )

Nothing to add to what has been said regarding strategy. Be patient, never put yourself in a weak position if you can avoid it, don't try to dominate the game, know when to strike.

9. #9 / 9
    Standard Member Knosken
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

In a game like world war, you should look att where the other players have their troops. They are all likely to focus on that part of the map, and sometimes you can keep a continent defending it with only 1 or 2

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)