1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 12
    Standard Member DuckAndCover
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Is there a public API for this site?  It'd be nice to build a native client for my iPod. 

2. #2 / 12
    Standard Member Beastlymaster
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Tom is actually working on this right now.

~~~~~~~~~~
    So, Beastlymaster, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

3. #3 / 12
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

My understanding is Tom is working on a javascript version of the client that will work on iPod/iPhone/iPad/etc., not an API for the site. 

4. #4 / 12
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Ozyman wrote:

My understanding is Tom is working on a javascript version of the client that will work on iPod/iPhone/iPad/etc., not an API for the site. 

If Tom does build the api in json, I could still use it.  I could put the project on github or something for people to contribute and build on.   

5. #5 / 12
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I would love to check that out, and hopefully contribute.  I put my python code for creating/manipulating wargear maps on github, if anyone wants it.  It is not 100% current with my local stuff:

https://github.com/Ozyman/WGLib

6. #6 / 12
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

There is an API but it's not public - the player runs off a REST based XML API which is being converted to JSON. There's no reason why it shouldn't be made public - it's just a question of documenting it and tidying it up.

7. #7 / 12
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Cool stuff Tom ... once you have it cleaned up to your satisfaction, feel free to contact me and I'll get an ios project going.  btw, XML works fine as well. 

8. #8 / 12
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Hi Tom ... I received your message but I can't respond back.  Shoot me an email at brian -dot- douglas -dot- moakley -at- gmail -dot- com

9. #9 / 12
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Hi DuckAndCover,

Seen this? http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1801/iSWiFTER

May help if you're strictly looking for mobile device support.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

10. #10 / 12
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

I've seen Swifter before ... it scratches a nice itch, but I prefer applications developed specifically for a device.  I'd say the majority of flash apps have not been designed for a touch devices. 

One simple example is a click.  Most flash apps will ignore the size of the button (or link) since the mouse allows for fine user control.  With a touch screen,  you design for fingers which is at least 44x44.  Anything less tends to be an exercise in frustration.

11. #11 / 12
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Well, I have to say.  The WG Flash program is a pretty good match for the iPad.  Generally speaking, any program that can be navigated exclusively with a mouse (i.e., sans keystrokes), translates very nicely to a touch device.  Often it's better on a touchpad because you don't have to "see" where the cursor is.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

12. #12 / 12
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I very much like the idea of a public API for the fact that a player could build a custom player with more shortcuts, key mappings and the like (sorry for the double use of player).  This seems like the geeky thing to do and I would love to have a player with: total attack leave x behind, 'f' - select fortify phase, 'g' - attack phase, ... randomly place, ... and many more feature that are not needed.  Now, I would not have to ask for them, I could just make them a reality happen.  This would be a fun project.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)