200 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 8
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

And following my previous suggestion RE: ranking calculations being available at the end of a game....

Would it be worth it to have the ability to sort tournament games by date/time of completion.
    In a round-robin tournament, the order of the game completion effects how the rankings are calculated.
    There's currently no way to see the order that the games finished.

Example: if you win a game, against an opponent in a game, but that opponent loses 3 other games to very low ranked players before you are able to finish your game, then his score drops prior to your score increasing, effecting where you end up after your win.

I could see an interest in being able to trace through this history.

2. #2 / 8
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:

In a round-robin tournament, the order of the game completion effects how the rankings are calculated.

tom says this isn't really the case...the initial rankings are by date/time but ultimately the rankings are recalculated by Round # in order.

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

He has risen!

3. #3 / 8
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

You lost me there.

Example: A RR tourney, when multiple rounds are played at once.
    If a late round game ends before an early round game, does that mean that the tournament score that is e-mailed to you at the end of the game is totally bogus, because it is recalculated later when your opponents finish their early round games?
    Or am I misunderstanding your point??

I would have bet $5 that I'd read a forum post about this exact concept - Someone proposed the strategy of finishing a game quickly/delaying the finish based on the other games that your opponents are playing because their score might go up or down and that would effect your resulting score.

4. #4 / 8
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Found the forum posts I was talking about....

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1101/Round_Robin

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1064p1/Tournament_tiebreaker

Edited Thu 12th May 00:09 [history]

5. #5 / 8
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Tournament scores are recalculated by running through the draw order - so there is no advantage / disadvantage to finishing later games early / late.

6. #6 / 8
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Tournament scores are recalculated by running through the draw order - so there is no advantage / disadvantage to finishing later games early / late.

So, I think this means that the notification which is sent out at the end of a game contains incorrect information.  That is; the score adjustment calculation is incorrect as it is recalculated at a later date.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

7. #7 / 8
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:
    tom wrote:

So, I think this means that the notification which is sent out at the end of a game contains incorrect information.  That is; the score adjustment calculation is incorrect as it is recalculated at a later date.

So, if we're keeping the system as it is, when a game is won, a current "temporary" or "estimates" score would be announced in the pop-up, and perhaps at the end of the tournament an e-mail, or PM could be sent to all participants informing them of the winner ..with a link to the tournament page with adjusted scores etc.  As usual, this e-mail/message could be disabled in preferences.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

8. #8 / 8
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Thanks for the confirmation Tom, that's not how I understood it.
    It now makes sense as to how Mad Bomber leapt out to a big league in a RR tourney seemingly without finishing a game.

I like the end-of-tourney e-mail idea too.

This scoring makes me even more happy that Tom accepted the Feature Suggestion for making ranking calculations to be available thru the game history, because when your score changes mid-tourney because an earlier round game is completed that effects your later round game calculation, it'll be easier to see what happened.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)