226 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 20
    Standard Member Jumbolero
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

direct question: can I open a new profile? I'm not sure I understand completely, can I have two profiles (with the same internet connection) provided that they do not use both at the same time? for the reason that this one (jumbolero) i will use as a test to figure out some games, and new profile would be used for games that I understand.  my interest isn't to cheat, and do not want to be banned from this site (I must say the best one I found to play strategy games, good work), just feel the need to try some games that I don't understand. In last time with this profile I avoiding games who is mystery for me, becouse my rank is getting lower and lower when i play games which I never played before.

2. #2 / 20
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

J,

As I understand it, for the uses you describe, there is no reason you can't have two profiles.  In fact, you can play games against your(other)self as long as they are private (private games have no impact on stats).  I have done this myself as a board designer.

Really, the only problem that you could run into that I can think of would be if you used your "learning" self to somehow help your "real" self advance in the ratings, or perhaps help a friend to increase their rating.  As long as you avoid these situations, there should be no problem.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Mon 18th Apr 20:10 [history]

3. #3 / 20
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

J,

IMO, the best approach is to start games out as private. that way you still get to play with other people, but it doesn't effect your stats. So you get to figure out a board, and often you get to learn what works and what doesn't by watching the other players.

Grace and Peace to you from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ

4. #4 / 20
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Jigler wrote:

J,

IMO, the best approach is to start games out as private. that way you still get to play with other people, but it doesn't effect your stats. So you get to figure out a board, and often you get to learn what works and what doesn't by watching the other players.

Good point.  The only reason to use a different account would be perhaps to test a strategy and counterstrategy on a board.  On the other hand, if one is not invited to private games, or has trouble getting people to join their private games, they are back to square one.

BAO alternative:

5. #5 / 20
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

true :) so find some friends first. ;P

Grace and Peace to you from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ

6. #6 / 20
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I have two accounts, with two separate e-mail addresses, but I strictly use the second to test boards I am creating against myself.  My 2nd account has never played in a ranked game with anyone.  I believe this is a a common practice among board designers.

Creating a 2nd account to play boards you want to test out in ranked play may not be against the letter of the law (as long as you do not have both accounts playing in the same game) but it is against the spirit of the site. I do not think this is a common practice among anyone.

Global ranking points are set up so that if yours is low, and you win against players of higher rank, you get more points then if yours was also high.  So, usually, you can recover points faster then you lost them once you start winning - especially in games with more than 2 players.

7. #7 / 20
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

Creating a 2nd account to play boards you want to test out in ranked play may not be against the letter of the law (as long as you do not have both accounts playing in the same game) but it is against the spirit of the site. I do not think this is a common practice among anyone.

As others have said, as long as they are private games they aren't considered cheating, but any public game (individual or team) with multiple accounts is considered ban-able I believe (Dev games on beta boards potentially being an exception).

How about an Invite Me! thread similar to the Dev Test Volunteers thread.

Cumberdale Classics Coming Soon!

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

8. #8 / 20
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

Someone suggested creating "groups" that one could invite en masse to games.  Having a group for people to invite to private games to try out boards would be cool.

9. #9 / 20
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

You could also jump into a tournament or two on new boards.  The do not count toward your global ranking and you get several games on the new board to try different strategies.

Sometimes you have to bathe the cat

10. #10 / 20
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:
    Yertle wrote:

Someone suggested creating "groups" that one could invite en masse to games.  Having a group for people to invite to private games to try out boards would be cool.

Aye, that would be nice, in the interim... http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1542/Invite_Me#post_2

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

He has risen!

11. #11 / 20
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Raptor wrote:

You could also jump into a tournament or two on new boards.  The do not count toward your global ranking and you get several games on the new board to try different strategies.

They do however could towards your tournament ratings and statistics.

BAO alternative:

12. #12 / 20
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

hey people, thank you for your explanation! means not prohibited if you do not play for rank points, no problem, that's great! I have no intention of playing more with this profile once when I create a new, except for tests at a private level. currently I have 4 active public games, does that mean I have to wait with creating a new until I finish the current games? And should I inform anyone about it? Thanks again.

13. #13 / 20
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    Amidon37 wrote:
    Yertle wrote:

Aye, that would be nice, in the interim... http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1542/Invite_Me#post_2

Good ideas.

What about adding at the bottom of the home page a 'open private games' that would work the same way than 'open games' ?

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth

14. #14 / 20
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Jumbolero wrote:

hey people, thank you for your explanation! means not prohibited if you do not play for rank points, no problem, that's great! I have no intention of playing more with this profile once when I create a new, except for tests at a private level. currently I have 4 active public games, does that mean I have to wait with creating a new until I finish the current games? And should I inform anyone about it? Thanks again.

What's the interest of having a second account as you can play private games with the first one ? (I don't know if it's good for the site to allow a standart player to overide the 10 games limit doing that). I also believe your second account should be named Jumbolero2 to show you are not intending to cheat, and for other players to know who they are playing with.

15. #15 / 20
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Toto wrote:

What's the interest of having a second account as you can play private games with the first one ? (I don't know if it's good for the site to allow a standart player to overide the 10 games limit doing that). 

I suppose using two non-premium accounts to get around the max 10 game limit could be considered against the spirit of the rules.  Tom might have a problem with it, but at least it's not cheating, which I imagine was the point of the rule in the first place.

I also believe your second account should be named Jumbolero2 to show you are not intending to cheat, and for other players to know who they are playing with.

But there is no rule that requires you to do this.  No one that I know has done this including myself.

BAO alternative:

16. #16 / 20
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

There's no problem with second account used either for board testing or private games only.

However second accounts used in Public games to get around the 10 game limit or to cheat are obviously unacceptable and would result in a ban.

As for using a 2nd account to play test boards in Public games so that your primary account does not lose ranking points - I think this is against the spirit of the site and is not allowed.

17. #17 / 20
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

There's no problem with second account used either for board testing or private games only.

However second accounts used in Public games to get around the 10 game limit or to cheat are obviously unacceptable and would result in a ban.

As for using a 2nd account to play test boards in Public games so that your primary account does not lose ranking points - I think this is against the spirit of the site and is not allowed.

I agree on all that but I still don't understand what is the interest of a second account for board testing or private games as they are not taken into account for rankings (except if you want to play against yourself).

18. #18 / 20
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

What's the interest of having a second account as you can play private games with the first one ?

-I agree with that, but I didn't know that when I create first one. So I was jumping to unknown games for me to see how they work and lot of them i lose becouse of confused rules.

19. #19 / 20
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Now I know that there is an opportunity to play private and thet they do not affect the rank.

--However second accounts used in Public games to get around the 10 game limit or to cheat are obviously unacceptable and would result in a ban.

That maybe is problem, but that is easy to control in player profile game list. Surley I will tell my new profile nickname, that there is no doubt.  

20. #20 / 20
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Jumbolero wrote:

What's the interest of having a second account as you can play private games with the first one ?

-I agree with that, but I didn't know that when I create first one. So I was jumping to unknown games for me to see how they work and lot of them i lose because of confused rules.

Me too - more in the beginning then now, but still I usually lose a board the first time I play it.  It's normal.  I looked at your profile and your stats are pretty decent, so i would encourage you to keep you current account - 

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)