216 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 33
    Standard Member wurzel133
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Why are premium members that you set as enemy still allowed to join games you set up?

2. #2 / 33
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Agreed, should not be like that, at least for a limited number (say 5)  to avoid abuse (like I don't want to play against any of the 50 best players)

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth

3. #3 / 33
    Standard Member AdamN
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

The problem with that is I could block Uncle Bubbly from joining my Appomattox games. This would help me stay in seat 1 and stop him from grabbing the 20 points he needs to pass me. He can overcome me without playing me but it is faster and helps since I am constantly playing and he is more likely to beat me than a less experienced player. Long winded answer to really say.  Premium should bring some privileges 

4. #4 / 33
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

What Adam said.

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

5. #5 / 33
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

AdamN wrote:

The problem with that is I could block Uncle Bubbly from joining my Appomattox games. This would help me stay in seat 1 and stop him from grabbing the 20 points he needs to pass me. He can overcome me without playing me but it is faster and helps since I am constantly playing and he is more likely to beat me than a less experienced player. Long winded answer to really say.  Premium should bring some privileges 

ok thanks this makes sense , it wasnt for this reason it was because someone was joining games then not taking there turn but logging in , i know its up to him but it is annoying.

Edited Mon 7th Feb 02:31 [history]

6. #6 / 33
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

AdamN wrote:

Of course, you have a point. This is a problem and I agree with you.

On the other end, when a premium player joins a game ONLY because you are in, and ONLY to make you lose, no matters if he loses too, I find it's a much bigger problem. Some players can go wacko and spiteful when they believe you did not behave right toward them. I am always trying to be fair with everyone, but you never know. And I am not paranoid, I have met such a player.

As you said, your point can be overcome by playing with other players. Not mine.

And your point is an issue for only the top dogs. Not mine, as everybody can meet such a player.

As a compromise, I believe this strict ban on premium players would have to be very limited. Even 3 players should be enough.

7. #7 / 33
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Toto wrote:
    AdamN wrote:

On the other end, when a premium player joins a game ONLY because you are in, and ONLY to make you lose, no matters if he loses too, I find it's a much bigger problem. Some players can go wacko and spiteful when they believe you did not behave right toward them. I am always trying to be fair with everyone, but you never know. And I am not paranoid, I have met such a player.

As you said, your point can be overcome by playing with other players. Not mine.

And your point is an issue for only the top dogs. Not mine, as everybody can meet such a player.

As a compromise, I believe this strict ban on premium players would have to be very limited. Even 3 players should be enough.

this happens aswell

8. #8 / 33
    Standard Member CK66
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Toto wrote:
    AdamN wrote:

I see your point, but I don't think it would work.

Let's say, for example, we play in a game and you do something that I don't like, so I mark you as an enemy. Then, to be a real jerk, I go and join every open game over the next month. As a premium member, this would not be fair to you because now you are essentially paying for a site that you cannot join games (or are at least severely limited).

9. #9 / 33
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

CK66 wrote:

Let's say, for example, we play in a game and you do something that I don't like, so I mark you as an enemy. Then, to be a real jerk, I go and join every open game over the next month. As a premium member, this would not be fair to you because now you are essentially paying for a site that you cannot join games (or are at least severely limited).

This is a good point too. I never thought about it. It's a very good point indeed...

In that case I could always create my own games (and mark you as an ennemy, of course) , or join those when I arrived before you. This is not very satisfactory, I must admit. But would someone do what you said, as it would be almost impossible to play so many games without playing 24 hours a day. Also I have been advocating for a 100 games limit for premium players to avoid what has happened with Genesis (cf : http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1282/275_boots_and_he_will_only_play_games_he_might_win).

10. #10 / 33
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

CK66 wrote:

This is absurd.  First of all, it's impractical to do, not to mention you'd be shooting yourself in the foot - having to play boards that you don't like, don't understand, etc..

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

11. #11 / 33
    Standard Member CK66
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I agree, it would be absurd, and not something I would do. But I wouldn't put it past someone if they really held a grudge.

12. #12 / 33
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

CK66 wrote:
    Toto wrote:
    AdamN wrote:

i think you can only block someone playing in games you set up

13. #13 / 33
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

wurzel133 wrote:

I don't think so. I believe a standard player could be blocked even if you join a game you did not set up. Not sure though. 

14. #14 / 33
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

wurzel133 wrote:

Nope.  If you join a game (public only I believe), then an enemy (standard account) cannot join that game.

http://www.wargear.net/help/display/FAQ#Friends

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

15. #15 / 33
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

wurzel133 wrote:
    AdamN wrote:

ok thanks this makes sense , it wasnt for this reason it was because someone was joining games then not taking there turn but logging in , i know its up to him but it is annoying.

For me, I log on at work sometimes (usually multiple times per day) and have 10 minutes, 15-30 turns, 10 messages and lots of forums to read, so I don't always take my turns before I log off.  Also, I sometimes log on, get interrupted, leave my desk and at the end of the day find that I have been logged on all day without doing anything. 
    In short, I am an annoying premium member who logs on and doesn't take their turns.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

16. #16 / 33
    Standard Member AdamN
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

wurzel133 wrote:
    AdamN wrote:

I had a player I was convinced was ignoring our game because he was in effective checkmate. It was really annoying waiting for the three days to run down while he was logging in and taking turns in other games. So frustrating, so I understand.

17. #17 / 33
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Is it normal that a standard player was able to join a game despite being set as an ennemy  ?

I'm surprised as it happened to me, in a 2 player game (is this an exception ?).

18. #18 / 33
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Toto wrote:

Is it normal that a standard player was able to join a game despite being set as an ennemy  ?

I'm surprised as it happened to me, in a 2 player game (is this an exception ?).

was it in a tournament?

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

19. #19 / 33
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Toto wrote:

was it in a tournament?

No, of course.

20. #20 / 33
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

..was it me?

Just kidding.. (I think)

BAO alternative: