231 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 36
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

* = best advice. Though I guess 6,7, and 8 deserve stars too, and it could argued the others are also important.

To the 2nd point, while I am impressed at the ultra-elite stats of the WF legends, and I've been beat by those players consistently, it means, in part, they stayed away from each other, whether consciously or not.

Speaking of, I would like a rating that takes into account "strength of schedule", but don't want to re-open that can of worms, at least on this thread.

Longest innings. Most deadly.

2. #22 / 36
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Nice write-up Mongrel.

My weakness is with the "psychological" ones - 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10. I believe I have a fairly firm grasp on basic strategy, so I can win against average players - but against people that have a larger awareness about what's going on I don't do so well. It seems every when I try to guess what a player will do I guess wrong.

Same with poker. So much of that game is psychological that I am terrible at it, but I enjoy trying.

3. #23 / 36
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

You forgot Rule #0 - "Be lucky".

I'm only half-kidding. I didn't pick this user name for no reason, my bad luck in dice rolls while playing the regular board game is legendary. It doesn't seem to translate to online play or even other games, in fact overall I'd have to say the dice favor me here so far. Put me in front of a real life Risk board though and it's like someone super-glued weights to the 6s.

Mongrel: "Yeah, If 11s is not eliminated in the first 5 rounds - back to the drawing board." SO TRUE!

4. #24 / 36
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote: Nice write-up Mongrel.

My weakness is with the "psychological" ones - 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10. I believe I have a fairly firm grasp on basic strategy, so I can win against average players - but against people that have a larger awareness about what's going on I don't do so well. It seems every when I try to guess what a player will do I guess wrong.

Same with poker. So much of that game is psychological that I am terrible at it, but I enjoy trying.

Didn't you beat me twice in the LoTR tourney, recently? I know I'm not doing my homework during those games, but damn.

5. #25 / 36
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Luck be a lady tonight.

6. #26 / 36
    Standard Member Seige07
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Mongrel, big problem with your #8 example. You have to realize most Risk players are not good. When you attack them, instead of attacking the leader to even the board, they will attack you for revenge and give the leader an easy win.

Another thing I learned is a lot of players on this site are really bad about keeping grudges. Be careful who you eliminate because there is a really good chance they will attack you in every other game you play against them even when it just makes it so neither of you can win.....

All your base are belong to us

7. #27 / 36
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Mongrel wrote:

Didn't you beat me twice in the LoTR tourney, recently? I know I'm not doing my homework during those games, but damn.

Nope, only the second game.  Norseman schooled us in the first one.

8. #28 / 36
    Brigadier General Dud Dud is offline now
    Premium Member Dud
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

All these great strategies aside.....Just roll 6's! This may not be the best strategy for everyone, but I find works best for me....
    ;)
    ;)
    ;)

9. #29 / 36
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

I prefer to roll 11's...

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

10. #30 / 36
    Standard Member Bros
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Why am I losing a 14 to 4 battle? Is there something in settings? I keep losing 4 to 1 and other favorable odds for my attacking armies?

11. #31 / 36
    Standard Member agwyvern
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Bros wrote:Why am I losing a 14 to 4 battle? Is there something in settings? I keep losing 4 to 1 and other favorable odds for my attacking armies?

Because statistics are meaningful across large sample sizes. Across short sample sizes, you're at the whim of luck.

There are no settings you can set to improve your luck.

You cannot (as one particular person who was repeatedly disabled, asserted) get any "finger on the scale" by paying for a premium membership or offering any type of 'compensation' to the admin.

To avoid losing a 14 to 4 battle:

1. Do one attack at a time (i.e., click the '3' to do one roll of your attack dice). Do *not* use the T or A options.
    2. After each attack, decide if you should call a halt to the attack. In some cases you might have no real option except to attack (e.g., when all your opponent has is those 4 units (or maybe a few more behind them that you can reach with good luck) and a set to trade worth a ridiculous number of armies. In that case, you know you're toast if he gets to take another turn, so you go all-in.) But in the majority of cases, the best course of action is to cut bait.

Edited Tue 26th Mar 02:30 [history]

12. #32 / 36
    Standard Member BTdubs
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

One problem that may be causing this is if you are consistently playing against people with better luck than you.

Consider playing people with worse luck than you.

… you mind joining my open games?

13. #33 / 36
    Standard Member Abraham the Mage
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

BlackDog wrote: In a multiplayer game without fog, I tend to hold cards as long as possible, not because the value of the cards increases, but because I more ofen than not want to appear as weak as possible relative to my enemies. I am going to create a thread about aggression management and discuss this further.

I like to hold out on trading in because if you wait till 5, you may get back to back sets which can be a real game-changer

14. #34 / 36
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Wow, resurrecting a 14-year old thread!

My son was barely 5 years oid back then, now he's in college

15. #35 / 36
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Chele Nica wrote:Wow, resurrecting a 14-year old thread!

My son was barely 5 years oid back then, now he's in college

:)

My son was 12 (and playing Wargear)

Now he is out of college - not quite fully supporting himself though (and sadly not playing Wargear anymore)

16. #36 / 36
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, I tried to convince my son, my cousins and various friends, and didn't get any takers.

But I appreciate all the new friends i'vemade here ovet the years :)

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)