218 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 9
    Standard Member Angusjustice
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Is there any option to play against computer players to practice a board / just kill time real time.

2. #2 / 9
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Nope. An AI opponent has been discussed, but don't think it's in development or anything that I know of.

3. #3 / 9
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

You'd almost have to program a new AI for each board on this site since half of them have weird one-way borders, artillery, and so on. Enforcing fog would be fun, too.

asm wrote:
    I... can't find anything wrong with this line of reasoning...

4. #4 / 9
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Never thought about that Oatworm could very well be a nightmare.

5. #5 / 9
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

The good news is that creating an AI for standard Risk-style boards (e.g. no one-way borders, 6-sided dice, etc.) is a pretty well understood and solved problem - just take a look at the AIs used by Lux, for example. Whether the same techniques would be adaptable for artillery borders and the like is certainly open for debate, but it might be a good starting point.

asm wrote:

6. #6 / 9
    Standard Member Tesctassa II
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Oatworm wrote: You'd almost have to program a new AI for each board on this site since half of them have weird one-way borders, artillery, and so on. Enforcing fog would be fun, too.

I don't think you really should program new AI for every new board. At least if the AI is correctly designed. All the options in the board (such as artillery and one-way borders, etc) can be considered and put together in one single AI engine. It's still quite an effort to program such an engine, but absolutely possible.

@Angusjustice: In my opinion a computer player would be useless and, somehow, counterproductive for the life of this website. If you want to train against an artificial opponent, there surely are at least a couple of programs you can get (I bet for free too), but if you really want to learn how to play, just keep playing against humans. For this game is still the better option you have.

(=

7. #7 / 9
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

The main reason I asked was there are not enough real time players online at all times to start a real time game so a AI opponent could help. Cheers!

8. #8 / 9
    Standard Member Tesctassa II
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Angusjustice wrote: The main reason I asked was there are not enough real time players online at all times to start a real time game so a AI opponent could help. Cheers!

I see. You could start/join more games if you want to play more (=

Two months ago I had about 120 games going and I had at least 40 turns to play in a day. And definitely I don't wanna repeat that! I lowered the number to 50 now. XD

I understand that it's not like playing a single game all-in-once, but if you want that, I'll stick to what I said above: you can surely find some pc-game, even for free, to play with. I'll ask a friend of mine, he has one.

Salut!

(=

9. #9 / 9
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Ask and ye shall receive:
    http://sillysoft.net/lux/

Works on PC, Mac, and Linux. Also has online play.

asm wrote:

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)