211 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 5
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think it might be a useful and fun feature to have levels in wargear.  Most video games of any complexity have features that are locked away until you have mastered the basics.  For example, in a racing game you might start with a couple cars and tracks.  Once you've played a couple games and won a few races, you get more cars & tracks, etc.

Since wargear is already quite feature rich, and looks to continue in this direction, having players have to 'earn' their way to the complexities would provide a gentler introduction to new players.  In addition, people get hooked on opening up new areas, and this can be one more thing to make wargear exciting to newbies.  

Being an old D&D player, I envisioned an experience points (XP) system.  You earn XP for doing various things, your current XP dictates your level, which dictates what you can do on wargear.

For example:

Earning XP
    ---------------------
    Playing a turn on wargear - 1 pt.
    Take a player out - 10 pts.
    Finishing a game on wargear - 20 pts.
    Winning a game on wargear - 10 pts for each person in the game.
    Uploading an image as your avatar - 100 pts.
    1st comment on the forums - 50 pts.
    Buying your first premium membership - 500 pts.
    1st map published - 250 pts.
    Win a tournament - 5 pts. for each person in the tournament.
    Invite a friend to wargear - 50 pts. (I don't know about this one.  Does wargear have some integrated way to invite someone?)

Levels
    --------------------------
    0 - Helpless Newbie       0-50 XP
    1 - Neophyte              50-200 XP
    2 - Beginner             200-400 XP
    3 - Fledgling            400-1000 XP
    4 - Intermediate                1000-2000 XP
    5 - 
    6 -
    7 - Adept
    8 - Expert
    9 - Master
    10 - WarGear Guru

Abilities
    --------------------------
    0 - Can start private games, can join public games, can only see(or play?) boards with no advanced features.
    1 - Can join tournaments 
    2 - Can see/play boards with one way borders.
    3 - Can see/play boards with light fog.
    4 - Can see/play boards with heavy fog.
    5 - Can see/play boards with attack/defense modifiers, can start public games, can join team tournaments.  
    6 - Can see/play boards with territories with negative bonuses, can start public tournaments
    7 - Can see/play boards with view only, borders
    8 - Can see/play boards with fortify only, and attack only borders

Obviously this is just a rough idea, and would need lots of work, but what do you guys think? 

Maybe the maps that they can't play should be grayed out, and when they click on the map they get a popup that says: "You need to be level X to play this map, because of advanced features Y& Z.  Only NNN more XP points to go!"

On the other hand, we already have Champion Points, Global Ranking Score and G Rating, so maybe adding XP to the mix would be a bit confusing.  Plus, it seems like it could be a decent chunk of work, and I'm sure there is a lot more to do of higher priority.

Another problem is that some players who are familiar with this sort of online game are going to want to jump right into the good stuff, and it's kind of lame to make them play a bunch of games on 'boring' maps first.  But the #s can probably be tweaked so that this is not too onerous and premium members could get an option to override their restrictions on map selection.

2. #2 / 5
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I like the basic idea... i dont think there needs to be so many levels but i do like the idea.

3. #3 / 5
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

KrocK wrote: I like the basic idea... i dont think there needs to be so many levels but i do like the idea.

Yeah, you are probably right.  I know I got a bit carried away.  Also, I realize that alternate solutions have already been proposed and implemented - like having to upload a profile image to get into a tournament.  I don't really expect something like this to replace that, but I thought it was an interesting idea anyway, so figured I'd share.  And I do think some way of partially hiding complicated maps from newbies should be implemented.

4. #4 / 5
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

I'm not sure I like it. There's talk about it in another thread, but putting too many limitations on what new users can and can't play is only going to push them away from the site. I could see other types of bonuses though (e.g. increasing # of games at a time for non-premium members, or giving higher level members a special icon next to their name that appears in game and in the forums).

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

5. #5 / 5
    Standard Member Disco
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I like the idea of just getting Titles. Along the lines of your gaining XP idea, but having nothing at all to do with game play.

Just a title, start out as Recruit, and as xp goes up you get promoted, capatain, corporal, commander, General, then even start adding stars or whatever.

Yea, forget newbie, beginner, fledgling etc. that's gay. This is War

Edited Thu 27th May 22:33 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)