218 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 18
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I'm generally pretty patient but am getting impatient.  I'm in several dev/review games for other mapmakers with 7-8 players that have already been through 2-3 turns in a day.  I also started a review game for my map that's been up for 4 days, 4 people, and has seen 4 turns taken.

Also had 3 dev games on the same board started early this morning, 3 4 and 5 players.  Only the 3 player one has started and a single person has taken one turn, the other two nobody has joined.

What am I doing wrong?  Is it because I set the game types as Public?  Do I need to set them as Private and just invite everyone individually?  If so is there a way to invite a group of people at once?

I deleted the Review game and all 3 dev games.  I await tips on how to get this done faster.  I'm not asking for instant coffee, just some hint of progress each day.

-John Hancock-

111pma.png

2. #2 / 18
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

patience is a virtue, I've found public DEV games usually take a while to fill.

3. #3 / 18
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

public take quite a while to fill. it also helps if you come on the boards with some links to your public games and ask people to join. had you done so before deleting them, i'd have joined at least one of the Devs...

... danger zone! ...

4. #4 / 18
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

IRoll, Invite me to a few private games - I might turn a few down, but for those I join, I usually check in a couple times a day ..and most evenings (EST) I keep up with whatever comes my way.

5. #5 / 18
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I am having a similar issue with a private dev game. I invited 9 from the Dev tester thread and 3 have turned it down so far. Which is fine but if you're on the list it might be useful to actually join and test dev games other than your own or your direct friends.  It's a 5 man game.. Maybe my maps just crappy looking lol..

Edited Thu 29th Apr 09:20 [history]

6. #6 / 18
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think that the DEV and Review board ppl tend to take their turns much faster than the average public Joe. i find it immensely pleasant when i come across a game full of the WarCore. things just go so smoothly (well except for the dice...).

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen

7. #7 / 18
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

so what i meant to say is friend a bunch of the WarCore and invite them all to your games and they'll go fairly quickly in comparison.

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen

8. #8 / 18
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

I occasionally decline DEV games if I get the invite at a bad time (i.e. when I have a lot of turns to take) or if the map just doesn't interest me, but most of the time I try to join them if I'm invited (public I don't always join). Go ahead and invite me if you want and I'll try to make a point to join.

Also, I tend to visit WG at least once an hour so I can take my turns fairly quickly. Whether or not my opinions as a tester are useful or not, however, is a completely different story.

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

9. #9 / 18
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The quick turn time was what I was hoping when I invited people from the Dev test thread.. Game still hasn't started and I opened it yesterday afternoon.

10. #10 / 18
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Link to the game?

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

11. #11 / 18
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/16607

I think you already declined though.

12. #12 / 18
    Standard Member bengaltiger
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Sorry Viper, I normally join Dev games but only when I think I can take turns quickly. I declined because life's been too busy lately for me to log on more than once every day or two. The forums are usually a good way for them to fill quickly if inviting the Dev crew doesn't work. (Your board looked very interesting by the way, I did want to join...)

13. #13 / 18
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Oh yes, that one. Yea, that was one of those "I have 20 turns to take, I don't have time for this!" moments, sorry. I'm glad you got it started though! If you do more I will join them. It does seem very interesting and I like that kind of map. I do noticed that you seem to have random placement for a lot of the minor petals. I wonder what it would be like if you defined starting positions for players to start from the bottom and work their way up... And with neutrals the way they are now I think it would work well... a small neutral continent between you and your neighbor... have to decide if it's worth trying to break their bonus. Just my random thoughts not actually playing the board. :P

14. #14 / 18
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I am always up for a development board if it looks interesting, but I tend to pass over public dev boards. Please feel free to invite me.

15. #15 / 18
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I also would be willing to test out development boards. I don't look to join boards that often (I am in plenty as it is) but if invited it would make me feel special. :)

16. #16 / 18
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I did not realize that dev games were expected to go so quickly. I'm glad this discussion is taking place, because my usual schedule is once a day to go in all games that are my turn. If I join a dev game I'll be sure to only do it if I can go more often.

17. #17 / 18
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Thanks for all the replies. I spent some time adding everyone who is on the 'Dev' list to Friends (although it would be nice to be able to create a separate list). It was mostly trying to start a public DEV I think that wasn't working out.

Ozy I don't really know what the expectation is for turn times. I know that personally I feel more responsible taking turns quicker for a dev/review game than a regular game because someone is relying on that in order to move forward.

On the flip side it is a volunteer sort of thing, so it's not like you can get annoyed at slow play. I was more impatient with the games that had nobody joining than with the pace of play from my first post. Plus I was in a bad mood.

-John Hancock-

111pma.png

18. #18 / 18
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

IRoll11s wrote:  I know that personally I feel more responsible taking turns quicker for a dev/review game than a regular game because someone is relying on that in order to move forward.

I think that is probably the right position.   The only dev games I've been in so far are my own and with the crowd of people I play with it is fairly typical for a round to take a few days or week even, so I think what constitutes a 'normal' schedule for me is not as typical for most map makers. 

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)