230 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 10
    Premium Member Twobeard
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Etiquette is the customary code of polite behavior in society among members of a particular group.

I have an upcoming vacation that will take me away for a week or so. This is a family vacation. I may not have regular access to my account and I certainly will not be paying it as much attention.

I have scheduled the time period as vacation on my account so that my turns are not skipped or booted in my current games

As I was browsing open games to join, it occurred to me that it may be rude or a breach of etiquette to join or create new games knowing that I have a planned vacation around the corner. The game would start and immediately my name is listed as (On Vacation). Then again, games can take a long time to fill. It could be days, weeks, or even months before the games would start. Not to mention that the time for a turn is often more than a day. So I could be home and ready long before it is even my turn. Of course, I could just wait until I get back to see if there is still an opening then join.

All of this got me wondering what is proper etiquette for joining or creating games as one approaches a vacation?

2. #2 / 10
    Standard Member BTdubs
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

The more players there are in a game the less I think this matters. In a two-player game, yes, that feels rude.

Otherwise, I would not really care very much. I may be an outlier here so other folks weigh in, but in some 16-player games a two-week vacation could fit between turns without delaying anything.

Blocking out vacation days is already good etiquette. What’s rude is to leave a team in a tourney hanging by getting skipped, booted or 2v1 in a bunch of games!

Also gotta point out that if you are worried about this, it’s totally possible to play on a smartphone.

3. #3 / 10
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

depends on how long i'm going to be gone. if it's less than a week and a 3day timer; sure i'll join rather than let one of the few games i want to join disappear. if it's a shorted timer, low # of players or a longer vacation then i may hesitate. I also usually post in each of my live games to alert players to my unusual absence.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

4. #4 / 10
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

What BT at top said.

Also feel free to create games. Takes awhile for them to fill anyways.

5. #5 / 10
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>I also usually post in each of my live games to alert players to my unusual absence.

Apparently I should start doing this.

I got yelled at once in a team game because I went on vacation for 3 weeks, and when we got back one of my opponents accidentally attacked their own team. They blamed me for having such a long break in the game that it caused them to forget it was a team game....

I just assumed players would see the [vacation] indicator. Then they can go click on my profile to see when I'm coming back.

6. #6 / 10
    Premium Member Twobeard
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:>I also usually post in each of my live games to alert players to my unusual absence.

Apparently I should start doing this.

I got yelled at once in a team game because I went on vacation for 3 weeks, and when we got back one of my opponents accidentally attacked their own team. They blamed me for having such a long break in the game that it caused them to forget it was a team game....

I just assumed players would see the [vacation] indicator. Then they can go click on my profile to see when I'm coming back.

What about the alert that prompts someone before attacking a teammate? Did they blame you for ignoring that?

7. #7 / 10
    Premium Member Twobeard
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

BTdubs wrote:The more players there are in a game the less I think this matters. In a two-player game, yes, that feels rude.
    Otherwise, I would not really care very much. I may be an outlier here so other folks weigh in, but in some 16-player games a two-week vacation could fit between turns without delaying anything.
    Blocking out vacation days is already good etiquette. What’s rude is to leave a team in a tourney hanging by getting skipped, booted or 2v1 in a bunch of games!
    Also gotta point out that if you are worried about this, it’s totally possible to play on a smartphone.

Thanks. I do take turns from my phone. My concern is with reception and spending time on my phone versus being present with the family. Then I got to thinking about the community sentiment.

8. #8 / 10
    Standard Member agwyvern
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

My take (as a Standard member) ...

• People sign up for an account, they're told the benefits of a Premium account and, heck, get a free trial as well.
    • A benefit is the ability to go 'on vacation'.
    • If you can't or won't go for a Premium account, you *don't* get to go 'on vacation', AND ... you don't get the right to whine about others who *do* get that ability and exercise that ability.
    • Do I enjoy waiting for a vacationer to return? Not really. But ... that's life. If somebody can't deal with that, that is *their* problem.

The only case it's egregious is, as you and others have menmtioned, is when someone joins a short-turn 2-player game and immediately trots off. *That's* inconsiderate. Everything else? No worries.

9. #9 / 10
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Twobeard wrote:
    What about the alert that prompts someone before attacking a teammate? Did they blame you for ignoring that?

That's part of why my sympathy was limited. I think they were just feeling very frustrated. Which is understandable. It was a critical tournament game and they had a lot of luck in the beginning and their mistake basically reset the game and gave us a chance to win. But at the same time - I've made lots of mistakes when I play - probably at least once a week I make some move and think - why did I do that? So I figure it sucks for them, but just chalk it up to a mistake they made and move on.

I do try to limit my games. If I'm going on vacation for more than a week, I'll stop joining games a couple of weeks before my vacation.

10. #10 / 10
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I can only speak for myself, for me vacation is not an issue. I have enough other games, or I make more. I'll reviset the game with a vacationing player when everyone is back.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)