1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 21
    Colonel ogg ogg is offline now
    Premium Member ogg
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

"On December 31, 2020, Adobe Systems will officially stop updating and distributing Adobe Flash. Neglecting to convert Flash to HTML5 will have implications for a number of industries. Education and e-learning will experience a significant technical debt from this decision."

Will Wargear be updating to a different player?

2. #2 / 21
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

We already have a "native" player in addition to the original flash one.  I think the map designer is only flash though.

3. #3 / 21
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Several, if not all, of the charts (including luck graphs) work on flash. That would have to change.

4. #4 / 21
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

There are boards that only run under flash (Risk V Reward, and some of the maze maps too), which will need to be updated/fixed to work in the native app.

5. #5 / 21
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

My flash has already stopped working, at home. But when I'm at work it's OK. Anyone have an idea what might be the problem and how I can fix it? It worked at home until recently, and I have tried downloading Flash anew. 

6. #6 / 21
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:

There are boards that only run under flash (Risk V Reward, and some of the maze maps too), which will need to be updated/fixed to work in the native app.

And Go

7. #7 / 21
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

My flash has already stopped working, at home. But when I'm at work it's OK. Anyone have an idea what might be the problem and how I can fix it? It worked at home until recently, and I have tried downloading Flash anew. 

Is the home browser Chrome? I've read some stuff about people with Chrome having issues with running anything with flash.

8. #8 / 21
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, Chrome does not play nice with Flash anymore. Try Firefox, or sometimes you can make an exception for a site/instance to use Flash.

9. #9 / 21
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Thanks guys. Will try another browser.

10. #10 / 21
    Premium Member ogg
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Chrome plays ok if you adjust the settings on the flash player plugin to prompt vs automatically deny.  You still have to allow it the first time you log in, but then it works fine for the session.

Also, the native player sucks in comparison to Flash!  I don't want to be forced to use that unless it is updated to be more user friendly!

11. #11 / 21
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Pratik wrote:
    BorisTheFrugal wrote:

And Go

Yep. I believe I made, the neutral colors the same as the fog color (or the background image - I can't remember0 on the the Go-Geared board. That's a large part of what makes it look good in play. I always tried to do something a little cutting edge with each of my designs. I think Tom even tried to get it to play nice in the Native Player with no joy. There's something about the way the colors off-set, which is interesting because it turns out that I prefer the way Waterloo looks in the Native. Anyway, back then he indicated that porting everything to HTML5 was too daunting a task.  I can't imagine it's going to happen the way things are going here. It pains me to suggest that the lack of a way to design new boards may be a harbinger of what's to come.

12. #12 / 21
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

ogg wrote:

Chrome plays ok if you adjust the settings on the flash player plugin to prompt vs automatically deny.  You still have to allow it the first time you log in, but then it works fine for the session.

How do you do that? I tried now but could not find out where to do it.

13. #13 / 21
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Pratik wrote:
    BorisTheFrugal wrote:

And Go

Yep. I believe I made, the neutral colors the same as the fog color (or the background image - I can't remember0 on the the Go-Geared board. That's a large part of what makes it look good in play. I always tried to do something a little cutting edge with each of my designs. I think Tom even tried to get it to play nice in the Native Player with no joy. There's something about the way the colors off-set, which is interesting because it turns out that I prefer the way Waterloo looks in the Native. Anyway, back then he indicated that porting everything to HTML5 was too daunting a task.  I can't imagine it's going to happen the way things are going here. It pains me to suggest that the lack of a way to design new boards may be a harbinger of what's to come.

I wonder if Tom doesn't have the time/inclination to port to HTML5, if he would be willing to throw the existing code up onto github and maybe those of us who are developers could do the port.  

I don't know much about flash or HTML5, but I'd be willing to learn and contribute if it was an option.

14. #14 / 21
    Tournament Tender hootz72
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:
    ogg wrote:

Settings > Advanced > Site settings > Flash > Ask First 

Then I usually initiate one of my games in flash player, it will then ask you.  From then on it will allow Flash Player for the site for your browser session allowing the charts to load as well.  You should see the blocked icon to the left of your Bookmarks Icon in the browser window.

15. #15 / 21
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

ogg wrote:

Also, the native player sucks in comparison to Flash!  I don't want to be forced to use that unless it is updated to be more user friendly!

Meh. The flash player is miles behind the native. Seeing history is so smooth in the native (though there is a major bug - you have to go previous turn-next turn to sort things out). Seeing history in the flash player is just a pain.

16. #16 / 21
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Pratik wrote:
    ogg wrote:

Meh. The flash player is miles behind the native. Seeing history is so smooth in the native (though there is a major bug - you have to go previous turn-next turn to sort things out). Seeing history in the flash player is just a pain.

What? I don't see history at all in the native. There simply is no option to look at history, not that I ever found anyway. My only option is to read the log and infer. If I want history I need Flash. What am I doing wrong?

Edited Wed 14th Aug 01:58 [history]

17. #17 / 21
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

hootz72 wrote:
    Litotes wrote:
    ogg wrote:

Settings > Advanced > Site settings > Flash > Ask First 

Then I usually initiate one of my games in flash player, it will then ask you.  From then on it will allow Flash Player for the site for your browser session allowing the charts to load as well.  You should see the blocked icon to the left of your Bookmarks Icon in the browser window.

Thanks! I found it now :)

18. #18 / 21
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:
    Pratik wrote:

What? I don't see history at all in the native. There simply is no option to look at history, not that I ever found anyway. My only option is to read the log and infer. If I want history I need Flash. What am I doing wrong?

Woah. How has this topic never come up. I've complained about flash player history so many times (especially for Go).

Anyway,

- On the right panel of buttons at the top, click the left most button (Game History), beside Board Explorer.

- After that, on the left panel of 3 buttons (beside your colour square), hit the second one (Combined) - for short log + board.

In that, you can use up/down arrows to navigate previous/next turns. And left/right arrows to navigate each appearance in the log.

The bug is that the unit count is sometimes double of what it actually is. To avoid this, do previous/next (either using buttons, or any of the arrows) and then view, and everything will be fine.

19. #19 / 21
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Pratik wrote:
    Litotes wrote:
    Pratik wrote:

Woah. How has this topic never come up. I've complained about flash player history so many times (especially for Go).

Anyway,

- On the right panel of buttons at the top, click the left most button (Game History), beside Board Explorer.

- After that, on the left panel of 3 buttons (beside your colour square), hit the second one (Combined) - for short log + board.

In that, you can use up/down arrows to navigate previous/next turns. And left/right arrows to navigate each appearance in the log.

The bug is that the unit count is sometimes double of what it actually is. To avoid this, do previous/next (either using buttons, or any of the arrows) and then view, and everything will be fine.

Thanks, I found it now.

It never came up because I have always been perfeclty happy with history in the flash player, also on Go-Geared. So I've always chosen that one.

20. #20 / 21
    Premium Member ogg
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:
    Pratik wrote:
    Litotes wrote:
    Pratik wrote:

Anyway,

Thanks, I found it now.

It never came up because I have always been perfeclty happy with history in the flash player, also on Go-Geared. So I've always chosen that one.

I've been happy with the history and other functions of the Flash Player as well.  I only use the native player when I absolutely have to; I find it a bit clunky and harder to use for getting through all my turns.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)