234 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 15
    Standard Member zdisabled_8a7ed3fe
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I would like to see a "No Vacation" option added to the game creation menu.

This could either be a "scenario" or a stand-alone option, like fog, and would ideally be listed as such under the game name like scenarios are listed now.

The effect of this option would be to process turns normally regardless if a player took vacation time.

Edited Fri 4th Aug 16:12 [history]

2. #2 / 15
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

So you want to create a feature that negates the perk given to those who support the site? Cause why would anyone without premium or even those who have run out of vacation days ever start a game without this option?

Not fighting you, but doesn't make sense to create a feature to harm the feature that was made for those who support the site.

Board Rating Party - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4289/Board_Rating_Party

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

3. #3 / 15
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Maybe only premium members could create games with 'no vacation' mode?

Anyway, I personally would almost never want to join a game like that.

4. #4 / 15
    Standard Member eb4evr
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Johasi Vidad wrote:

So you want to create a feature that negates the perk given to those who support the site? Cause why would anyone without premium or even those who have run out of vacation days ever start a game without this option?

Not fighting you, but doesn't make sense to create a feature to harm the feature that was made for those who support the site.

Make it a super-premium option Wink

I would make my games with this option. It's annoying to have a game with 1 day turn limits get held up by a long vacation, especially when people will abuse the feature because they're just mad about bad rolls.

Edited Mon 7th Aug 22:43 [history]

5. #5 / 15
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Nobody HAS to join a No Vacation game.  Even if everyone else but you created only No Vacation games 100% of the time, you are free to create your own vacation-hobbled *cough* -enabled games.

I don't think this option need be a premium feature (power to the people!), and its use need not affect any Premium members at all.

While I'm on the subject, I would like to believe that the intent of Premium membership is to provide perks for that member, and not to enable the power to create an imposition on other members, Premium or otherwise, such as having to wait weeks or even months to take a turn, when more than one player decides to go fishing (or just wants to be a jerk and stall a game).  Don't argue; it happens.

Edited Mon 7th Aug 23:33 [history]

6. #6 / 15
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

A compromise for Premium members that do go on vacation mode in a No Vacation game might be getting skipped an infinite number of times but never booted.

7. #7 / 15
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

camel wrote:

A compromise for Premium members that do go on vacation mode in a No Vacation game might be getting skipped an infinite number of times but never booted.

Doesn't sound like much of a compromise. How many games have you played where getting skipped several times wouldn't have reduced your winning chances?

8. #8 / 15
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

It's not a compromise versus not being skipped at all in regular vacation mode game, it's a compromise versus being booted for joining a No Vacation game and then going on vacation.

9. #9 / 15
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

> its use need not affect any Premium members at all.

How would its use not affect Premium members?  At the least, I'd have to remember to check every game I join and it would limit the # of open games I'd want to join.  Those are both effects, and they cause Premium membership to be less valuable.

The only way I could see something like this being reasonable, is if you had to be premium to start a game like this & you had to spend a vacation day of your own to create a "no vacation' game.  That would limit the # of games that are started like this and keep the value of paying for wargear high.

But either way, with all the things on the wish list, and Tom's limited time, I doubt anything like this will ever get implemented regardless of any of our comments.

10. #10 / 15
    Standard Member eb4evr
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

> its use need not affect any Premium members at all.

How would its use not affect Premium members?  At the least, I'd have to remember to check every game I join and it would limit the # of open games I'd want to join.  Those are both effects, and they cause Premium membership to be less valuable.

The only way I could see something like this being reasonable, is if you had to be premium to start a game like this & you had to spend a vacation day of your own to create a "no vacation' game.  That would limit the # of games that are started like this and keep the value of paying for wargear high.

But either way, with all the things on the wish list, and Tom's limited time, I doubt anything like this will ever get implemented regardless of any of our comments.

You do already have to check to see what the turn limit will be, so it'd only be an extra field.

But you're right, the odds of this happening are definitely low anyways

11. #11 / 15
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i could easily see this be an option for private games. for public? i'm on the fence (granted i haven't put much thought into it). 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

12. #12 / 15
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Just pointing out the ironies: 

1. The pro-no-vacation-game crowd is asking for a feature to be created to remove the inconvenience of a non-premium player having to wait for a paying player who is using a feature that was created to remove the inconvenience who has an event IRL that limits the player's ability play WG.
    2. The pro-no-vacation-game crowd is offering the pro-vacation-crowd, as an olive branch, that they can just "create another game" to avoid a No Vacation game.
      However, that same crowd sees no possible solution for the annoyance of waiting for game X, which is on vacation hold for a player, not even, perhaps, creating another game to occupy one's time....

Two more personal notes:

1. I know that my game stats don't compare to the likes of many of you (I certainly don't have 7000 games under my belt like Camel does) but if you (Camel et al) are seeing people using vacation as a means to pout about dice, maybe you might want to focus more attention on non-WGWF boards, where more experienced players are playing.
      A) That's where I spend most of my time and I don't think that I've EVER seen that happen (again, granted, I've only played 500+ games).
      B) More experienced players are probably less likely to blame dice and pout in the corner like the less experienced players who frequent only WGWF, for instance.
    2. If someone is THAT upset with the dice that they want to throw a wrench in your game by going on vacation to boycott it, so they choose to PAY Tom for a Premium Membership for that right, then I say, let them do it.  There are LOTS and LOTS and LOTS MORE players here who don't pay a dime into the kitty, so if someone wants to contribute to a site that I'd like to see stay afloat, then I'm willing to give them that right, no matter the reasoning.

Edited Wed 9th Aug 10:47 [history]

13. #13 / 15
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

It's not a bad idea but may have unwanted secondary effects in the long run, so to prevent that, I suggest limiting the amount of No Vacation games that can be in Open or Live status at any given time.

Also agree with the idea of this option upon game creation be available to premium members only, would be another incentive for players to pay for the game.

14. #14 / 15
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

To add to BorisTheFrugal's reply:

I'd say there is more than a little irony when a player with 22 boots in the last 30 days, most in live games (may even be all - I  didn't bother checking that much), complains about other people making him wait.

15. #15 / 15
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Pratik wrote:

I'd say there is more than a little irony when a player with 22 boots in the last 30 days

What a hypocrite you are!  You just posted a thread about continued site instability

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4736/Continued_site_instability

in which I remarked that I been booted multiple times from the same game while the site was lagging.  Just this morning I got another 5 boots from 1 game while the site wouldn't refresh for an hour.

Get the facts before you hijack threads and try to besmirch the OP with ad hominem attacks.  This was a suggestion for a game creation option, and your comments are wholly inappropriate for this thread.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)