231 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 10
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Anybody try anything special to try and break a loosing streak or trend?

2. #2 / 10
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Go back to a map you're familiar with and good at...not really special, but that's what I do.

I find that if I'm in a loser mentality I lose much more often...probably because I'm making much more risky moves out of desperation or anger rather than playing with a more strategic mindset. If I get back into a win streak on a map I'm good at it usually breaks my loser mentality so I can play to the best of my ability everywhere else.

Of course sometimes the dice gods just hate you for a while...maybe some sacrifices to the gods would fix that {#emotions_dlg.devil}

3. #3 / 10
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Certainly *in the moment* the best thing to do is close the browser and come back tomorrow.

Overall though, it's tough.  I "watch" other people's completed games more than is probably healthy looking at how they played.  It's been helpful for developing my strategies - esp. on boards I was having trouble getting my head around.

4. #4 / 10
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Good thoughts.  I'm on a three month skid. I'm winning about 1/3 or 1/4 of what I'm used to.  

I have wins here and there (mostly tourney duels), but I'm not sure if it's my play being worse, other people getting better, or just bad luck with dice or starting position.  

I'm not really playing my best boards, but I haven't been playing ones I'm bad at either.   Maybe I need to do a bit more replay watching. . .

5. #5 / 10
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think loser mentality and general apathy have a big part to play in success. 

If you want to win all the time - you should watch the history before every turn - you should take stock of each of your opponents trajectories and what you know about them - you should check in with a long term strategy and decide on current tactics - You should look at all the bonuses on the board - and your should take into account unit counts and potential gains for all the players - you should run a couple of scenarios in your head (if I do this than x, if I do that than y)

Some games - when I really care - I make this effort - and it goes well.

Most games... well: "Oh there is only 1 unit on that territory, I'll take that. End turn." 

So the question: Are you making the effort?

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

6. #6 / 10
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

itsnotatumor wrote:

Good thoughts.  I'm on a three month skid. I'm winning about 1/3 or 1/4 of what I'm used to.  

I have wins here and there (mostly tourney duels), but I'm not sure if it's my play being worse, other people getting better, or just bad luck with dice or starting position.  

I'm not really playing my best boards, but I haven't been playing ones I'm bad at either.   Maybe I need to do a bit more replay watching. . .

Start playing your best boards. Tactically, keep your unit count up, don't attack except with best (3v1) odds unless the payoff well worth it. It's too easy to start chasing things you oughtn't when you're on a losin' streak. And, like ratsy said, if you don't have the time/energy to check the history carefully, don't play for a while.

But maybe you could drop a few more CPs first before you turn it around?

7. #7 / 10
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

If you want to win all the time - you should watch the history before every turn - you should take stock of each of your opponents trajectories and what you know about them - you should check in with a long term strategy and decide on current tactics - You should look at all the bonuses on the board - and your should take into account unit counts and potential gains for all the players - you should run a couple of scenarios in your head (if I do this than x, if I do that than y)

Most games... well: "Oh there is only 1 unit on that territory, I'll take that. End turn." 

This is me + I've been trying to play more new boards in the manner I would if I was playing unranked games.  I realized I would enjoy more a casual exploration of new boards without worrying about my GR.  I'd rather the games were actually unranked, but baring that, they are just imaginary points on a server somewhere, and any meaning I give them is up to me.

8. #8 / 10
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

This is me + I've been trying to play more new boards in the manner I would if I was playing unranked games.  I realized I would enjoy more a casual exploration of new boards without worrying about my GR.  I'd rather the games were actually unranked, but baring that, they are just imaginary points on a server somewhere, and any meaning I give them is up to me.

Yeah. But I want to win. In all things in my life I want to win. That means I also want to win at wargear. And life. 

I think this kind of game attracts the kind of person who wants to win.

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

9. #9 / 10
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

This may be a part of it. I've also been did a fair amount of travel and had to play on my phone which gave a few miss clicks, and on very poor connections, where just making a few moves took 20 minutes. Definitely didn't watch any histories then, just tried to get my moves in once a day. 

10. #10 / 10
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Complacency and Patience - bad connections - bad devices : Murder on the muju

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)