220 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 13
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

What range of dimensions do you think work well for cards?

2. #2 / 13
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Great Question..

The smaller the better - It's best when all five fit on the screen horizontally - but ultimately - for me, it's about the image - it's gotta look good.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

3. #3 / 13
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Anybody know what the maximum width is that doesn't require scrolling for 5 cards?

4. #4 / 13
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Personally I'm more about the look of the cards and so long as at least three can fit horizontally before they wrap I'm happy dimension wise.  Also, because it works with png image files, it's fun to do transparent space in the image and to not make them look like traditional "cards".

5. #5 / 13
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

Anybody know what the maximum width is that doesn't require scrolling for 5 cards?

Whose screen? {#emotions_dlg.cylon}

6. #6 / 13
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

On the topic of cards... The board designer should be able to rename the wild so long as they give some kind of indication that it is indeed the wild card in the new name and/or picture provided.  The board review committee could decide if it made sense or not.

Edited Wed 17th Dec 07:42 [history]

7. #7 / 13
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Currently - Wild is not nameable.  I think this is probably a good thing for the reason berickf alluded too.  It would be yet another thing that the committee would have to be 'sticklers' about.   Maybe if (Wild) was automatically appended to the name - that would be a reasonable solution.

8. #8 / 13
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Currently - Wild is not nameable.  I think this is probably a good thing for the reason berickf alluded too.  It would be yet another thing that the committee would have to be 'sticklers' about.   Maybe if (Wild) was automatically appended to the name - that would be a reasonable solution.

I'm actually saying I'd like wild to be nameable.  Sometimes the cards fit a theme and the "wild" title totally doesn't fit well, or, sometimes it sort of does in that it's a part of the name, but, you can't amend it to add the rest.  There are many words that could be in the title, or images that could be in the picture that could carry the message that it is the wild card and it seems like a pretty easy thing for the committee to say if they "get it" or not.

9. #9 / 13
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Great Question..

The smaller the better - It's best when all five fit on the screen horizontally - but ultimately - for me, it's about the image - it's gotta look good.

I actually like bigger cards, because like you said "it's about the image - it's gotta look good.".  Small cards limit what you can portray. 

That said, I think there is a limit where it's too much screen real estate.  They should be as big as necessary to look good, and no bigger.

10. #10 / 13
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I've generally kept my cards in the range of 160-240 pixels for each dimension (depending on the appearance and the aspect ratio I want). I think that 250 starts to get to the upper limit of what's advisable for width (probably best to stick around 200, actually).

11. #11 / 13
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

That seems big to me. I think all my cards are between 80 and 120 pixels high.

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

12. #12 / 13
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Mine are usually about the same as Kjeld - 160-240 in each dimension.  Sometimes a bit bigger even.

My earlier cards were generally smaller, but they've gotten bigger as time goes on.  I think also more people have higher resolution monitors (although I probably have bigger than average monitors at home & work). 

Edited Wed 17th Dec 22:54 [history]

13. #13 / 13
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i've got a range of them, the size mostly dependent on looks and what images i can find that match. 

on the smaller side i have them similar to: 128x164 and 200x200

on the larger side i've got: ~330x503 and 480x270

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)