214 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 6
    Premium Member Footfungus
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Has anyone attempted a Stratego board? I love that game! I think it could be done, but I've never programmed a map before so I don't think I'd be able to do it. 

2. #2 / 6
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I've thought of it, but never was not happy with any of the ways I thought of to execute it. The whole point of Stratego is that pieces 'move,' and currently, there is not a great way to capture this using the current set of designer tools.. That said, I'm sure someone could come up with something interesting with a "static" set-up - As a designer, that's just not my cup of tea.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

3. #3 / 6
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I too have played around with it mentally but haven't come up with anything stratego-like using the current tools.

For example if I could force people to always use the T button we could simulate better pieces with many units moving.

4. #4 / 6
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I also have thought about it.  Seems difficult to do.  There are so many different 'types' of pieces, and that's something wargear doesn't do well.  It's very hard to have two+ types of units that interact in any way. 

5. #5 / 6
    Premium Member Footfungus
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Mmm yeah, I thought I could think of a good way to do it but the movement of the pieces is crucial. It seems like you could force people to use T button but you don't want the winning player to lose any armies because that would change its rank. Maybe you could set the dice to just keep track of the number of armies in each location? You could use a Medium fog setting so players can see the location of pieces but not the ranks. Part of the fun of the game is setting up your side, too. Does wargear allow setups? You wouldn't want to force players to alternate setting up pieces because that would take forever. Is it possible to allow a simultaneous first turn for the set up and then alternating turns after that?

Also, the spy would be tricky because it needs to be able to defeat the 1 but lose to everything else. That wouldn't follow the same rules as the other ranks in combat (better rank always wins).

Bombs and miners would be tricky for the same reason.

Well, thanks for thinking about it! :)

6. #6 / 6
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I'd love to play stratego here, hope someone can design it some day

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)