212 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 5
    Standard Member GenghisKhanage
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

5-6 of us have started to use this website to play some inhouse Wargear Warfare maps, we're having a lot of fun but were wondering if there's anyway to edit the game settings so that cards have a static value instead of linearly increasing the entire time?

When playing on Wargear Warfare, we found that the later the game went the more volatile borders become with cards, while card management is important I think the extent at which a lead can be destroyed by it by turn 10-12 is too strong with them. The game became less about tactical defenses and offenses, and more about turtling until you got 5 cards and pushing to sweep an entire territory.

Thanks for your time! 

2. #2 / 5
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hey GK, Welcome to the site. For better or worse, the card scale is determined by the board designer.  for precisely the reasons you have outlined, some designers create scenarios for their boards that use different card scales.  Some actually create scenarios with no cards!

Yertle's Micro-Mission board has of number of scenarios with different card scales. It is a great board - though probably not the best for 5+ players.

Realize that board designers (well, most of them) are very aware of how card scaling moves a game along.  Card series that move slowly can make for some very long games, and slow movers have a tendency to end up as crab-games (basically a three-way stand-off).  These types of boards usually don't get good comments in the ratings sections, and tend to be avoided by the better players, who are looking for "action," so designers don't like to make them.

On the other hand, if there is a way you like a board set up you can always try contacting the designer and ask them to create a scenario, but be prepared to explain why it's a good idea and defend against the aforementioned arguments.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

3. #3 / 5
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

GK, play this map version of standard risk:

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Global+Warfare

The map plays exactly the same as Wargear Warfare, just not quite as colorful. It's actually the original version of standard "Risk" on the site, and it has many scenarios including limited card scale.

btw, Micro Mission is pretty good at 5 players, although someone will get eliminated quickly, so not so great for a group trying to play together.

Edited Sun 7th Sep 20:05 [history]

4. #4 / 5
    Standard Member GenghisKhanage
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

@M57 We're all fairly new/bad players so we're just doing this for fun so I completely understand your point about better players preferring it. That being said, I've been having ~a lot~ of fun playing this so I might look into playing different game types and playing a bit more seriously.

@smoke thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I appreciate the help! 

5. #5 / 5
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

GenghisKhanage - Here's a recent discussion about what boards to try after wargear warfare:

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/3742/the_next_board_after_wargear_warfare_should_be_

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)