220 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 12
    Standard Member U-555
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Hello: My friend and I are new here.  We have been playing wargear warfare to familiarize ourselves.

My concern is that if I (or we) attempt to join in an open game, I (or we) may screw things up for the other players who are more familiar with all the maps.

Please advise which games are more practical for new participants wanting to play against others in this community until we have a better understanding of the maps.  Thank you for your time

2. #2 / 12
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

So there are of course the many world map type boards that are very similar to the basic risk board -- Colossal Crusade, World War, Micro Mission, etc. These would be a very easy way to branch out into similar gameplay.

If you are looking to delve into some more of the variety available on WarGear, here's a suggestion. In the boards list is an option to sort boards that are "easy" -- while not a perfect filter, it will certainly help you narrow down to some of the boards with a less steep learning curve. From there, you can sort by popularity to get a sense of which boards will have frequent game openings (since you'll probably want to play more than one game on a new board you are trying to learn). Then you'll find boards like Expanding Europe, 1790, Mobs of New York, or WarGear 2010.

For slightly more advanced options, do the same sort of search with the medium and hard difficulties. A quick search along these lines yields some good options like Invention, Of Kings and Men, Seven Kingdoms or Crystal Caves. EDIT: Risk of Thrones, while a bit complicated to learn, has been very popular recently, so that might be a solid advanced option.

Edited Thu 3rd Jul 19:52 [history]

3. #3 / 12
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Welcome @U

One thing you can always do it start some private games, but then that means you have an idea who to invite.   That said, there's very little you can do to 'screw up' a game as long as you take your turn in the allotted time. If you happen to be a weaker player, the players  here who 'watch their stats' will be happy to take the easy win.

I wouldn't worry about it..Go to the 'Boards' page and check 'em out.  You're the best judge of what you like, right?  Then just join games (or create some) and play  . If you have any questions, just ask.  In games with 4 or more players, chances are there'll be one who will take you under their wing - and they are more likely to the more advanced players.

Best, -M

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Thu 3rd Jul 19:59 [history]

4. #4 / 12
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>  That said, there's very little you can do to 'screw up' a game as long as you take your turn in the allotted time.

Also DO NOT MAKE ALLIANCES WITH YOUR FRIEND IN PUBLIC GAMES.  Now strictly speaking alliances are ok as long as they are not "pre-arranged", but if you "just happen" to make an alliance all the time in game, you could also be identified as a cheater.  I'd recommend you play team games with your friend if you want to work together.

If you would like a personalized tour of the site, let me know & I would be happy to invite you and your friend to a series of private games, introducing new concepts gradually and answering questions as they arise.

Other than that, I think Kjeld gave good advice, but I'm not going to let this opportunity go by without shamelessly promoting my own maps.  I have two maps that are actually designed specifically for a situation like this.

Pangaea and Panthalassa is a simple world map, that introduces the concept of "hordes":

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Pangaea+and+Panthalassa

Pirates of the Caribbean is a relatively simple board that introduces one-way borders & vision borders:

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Pirates+of+the+Caribbean

Both have everything you need to know right on the board itself, so you don't even have to go to the description page.

5. #5 / 12
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

There is also a list of players who would be happy to be invited to some private/public games with new players, just to help them get their feet and whatnot. 

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1542/Invite_Me

Also, go through the board list and pick the ones that make you go... oh cool.  I mean, I play "steal the bacon" every now and then because... well, I quite like bacon...

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet
    Edited Thu 3rd Jul 20:45 [history]

6. #6 / 12
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This thread or something like it should probably go onto the FAQ section of the wiki.

7. #7 / 12
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Oh yeah:

and go in and screw em up! Best way to learn, and it keeps things fresh. If they get cranky... oh well!

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

8. #8 / 12
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

This thread or something like it should probably go onto the FAQ section of the wiki.

And maybe link it to the new member thread?

Fortune favors the bold, and chance favors the prepared mind...

9. #9 / 12
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

There is also a list of players who would be happy to be invited to some private/public games with new players, just to help them get their feet and whatnot. 

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1542/Invite_Me

I'm on this list, and it's the exact purpose of this list.
    Invite me, or others to any private game on any board, and we'll be happy to walk you though the new boards and any new concepts that come with it. 

10. #10 / 12
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

itsnotatumor wrote:
    Ozyman wrote:

And maybe link it to the new member thread?

I added it to the FAQ:

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=general:faqs

Which, btw., has some real problems from being copied from the HTML version to the wiki.

I'm not sure what new member thread you are talking about.

11. #11 / 12
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i assume the one in here:

http://www.wargear.net/forum/listthreads/Welcome_Forum

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

12. #12 / 12
    Standard Member U-555
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Thank you all so very much.  I will follow the advice given and jump into a game or start one up with those special invites.  Perhaps tomorrow.  What a nice group this is.  I will mention this progress to my friend 'William Wallace' so he can advance as well.  Thank you again.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)