188 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 6
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The idea of having boards that are under development available in beta mode is great in theory, but in practice I've noticed that hardly anybody bothers starting a game on them, and even fewer people will join such a game. I believe I recall that development games aren't even visible to most players, which seriously hampers any possibility of getting a game going. From a board designer perspective, it is always better to get more test games on a new board, but it sucks when I have to be in every single one of those games because I'm the one who has to create them.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone has ideas about how to make beta boards more popular? Or maybe it's as simple as letting designers start a development game without having to actually be in the game?

2. #2 / 6
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

my guess one of the factors is due to beta timing out...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

3. #3 / 6
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>Or maybe it's as simple as letting designers start a development game without having to actually be in the game?

Seems like this might be the simplest thing.  (but maybe it's a difficult code change).  I too have found the beta flag not very useful as is.

Edited Thu 9th Jan 15:35 [history]

4. #4 / 6
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Two incentives that I think could help would be to have Beta Testing as part of the Achievement system somehow and also if there were ever a Board Payment system then somehow getting credit towards that sort of structure.

Some Players may also get a kick if the Board Designer rewarded the testing somehow, ie by a Territory named after them or some visual shout out on the board to them, may be kind of cool.

You have been granted the title of Strategist!

5. #5 / 6
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

It's been my experience that inviting people to play a game appeals to their sense of good nature. (most times, although I'm hesitant to just collect random opinions)

Perhaps an all call in the forums: "this is my new beta board, play some games on it"

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

6. #6 / 6
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I'll admit I am usually reluctant to play on a beta board game that doesn't have the designer as a player.  I like to play them for play-testing purposes but not just for the fun of it.  If the designer is not in it I am not sure what the purpose of the game is.

A little kick is all I would need to play beta boards someone else was designing - either a wall post/pm saying "Hey, I'm looking for feedback on X - mind starting a game or two?" or start a forum thread for the board "Post feedback here..."-type thing.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)