218 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 11
    Standard Member zdisabled_86128377
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Hi guys soon after I joined Wargear I became addicted to the game. My wife got mad at the amount of time I spend playing the game. In jest I suggested that She try it for herself which She did. Surprisingly She enjoyed the game so much that She joined under the name level7. We never play in games together as I realised that could cause certain issues for other players. Both of us play in many games on a daily basis and one or two members have questioned Us about this. As far as We are both concerned all We want to do is play the game. If however there is any reason why this should not be the case then We are willing to abide by the rules of the site. Rest assured We realise that there are cheats out there and people have a right to question the validity of other members.

2. #2 / 11
    Standard Member j-bomb
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

my wife plays too.

as long as you follow the rules i see no harm or foul.

play on!

a little drool never hurt anyone:)

3. #3 / 11
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Thanks J I think I have noticed you both.

4. #4 / 11
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Honestly, it might not hut to put a note on each of your profile page that says "so-and-so is my beautiful wife, but we've agreed to never play games together"  or something.  

And that should be enough for the cranky types. Smile

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

5. #5 / 11
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Sounds like a good idea We will try that.

6. #6 / 11
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i wouldn't even go that far. i might put that she's your (superlative) wife, but not that you won't join games together...you should join games together (unless that might put a strain on the relationship - like i'm forbidden to play trivia or strategy games with mine).

i used to play with my friends all the time, in fact preferred it while they were still around. just cus my best friend and brother were playing in the same games doesn't mean we were colluding or teaming up. that's not to say that we never talked either, there were times where we'd bring up a game and agree we needed to do something about the leader. but that same kind of thing could be done via in-game private chat/PM/wall writing.

so i say make a quick disclaimer that you have family, if you feel you should. play games with/without her, with the caveat of watching the collusion when in games together and do as Calvin is want to do....say "ptbbtpt" to those few 'oh look they're from the same time zone, they must be cheating' diphthongs.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

7. #7 / 11
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

yeah, I would say about 10-20% of my public games have someone in them that I know in real life.   The only advantage I get from it, is a very good understanding of their play style, because we have played so many private games together.  For example, someone I know often leaves fairly large #s of unit's in her backfield, so if it's foggy, I know to expect that.  Also, I know my friends are decent players, and can be relied on to attack a runaway leader and do other sensible things in the game.

But this is no different than the advantage anyone else might have from playing a lot of games with the same opponents.

8. #8 / 11
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Against people I know in Real Life - I'm ruthless.  Heck, it's not nearly as fun to beat people I don't know.

There's no reason you can't play against people you know in Real Life.  If there's any collusion, it usually gets sniffed out.  Good players instinctively know when something is amiss. ..and if it fails the smell test.. There are tools (like game histories) that make it pretty hard to cheat and get away with it.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Thu 15th Aug 23:16 [history]

9. #9 / 11
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I too have played many games with people I know in RL - including my 3 kids.  I'm in a public game now with one of my daughters.  I feel no need to disclaim this -

That's awesome your wife is playing also.  I can't get mine interested even though she grew up playing RISK with her siblings - though she frequently tells the story about how she cried after losing one intense game - I digress.... sorry -

10. #10 / 11
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Thanks to all for your advice and suggestions on how to deal with this problem. It is clear so far that there appears to be no problem us both playing but I do understand that others would be wary. We never play in games together and have agreed that We should not. My own experience tells Me that there are people out there that feel the need to cheat in some way. We both simply love the game and get lots of enjoyment out of it.

11. #11 / 11
    Standard Member Blood Stone
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I try to keep my wife out of my gaming, since being together in real life is already to time consuming as it is. Both parties [husband/wife] need an outlet separate from each other to keep things more interesting....unless of course you and the wife are to jealous to have a bit of freedom outside of marriage.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)