2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 3
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I'm trying to calculate some odds for going out in War of the Roses. What do I enter in the fields below to simulate the smallest marker attacking the crown?

http://prestopnik.com/wargear/

Abandon OFF - Attacking with 4 on the territory (I know the marker says three - but there's 4 on it so you get to use every noble) - and using everything I've got..

Number of Simulations 1000
    Number of Attacking Units
    This is the # that can attack, so if you have 4 guys in a territory, but have to leave one behind, use '3'. If you don't have to leave any behind, use '4'.
    ? (I'm putting 3 here now )
    Attacking Dice Sides 6
    Minimum number to keep (attacker) ? (I'm putting 0 here now)
    Number of Defending Units 50
    Defending Dice Sides 6

I think this is right,  because if the minimum number to keep is set to one, the calculator returns an average # of attackers left between 1 and 2.  (Although this doesn't make sense to me - I want 1 attacker left 100% of the time.. As it is the calc says I'll have an average of 0.7 attackers left ???

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Tue 13th Aug 11:16 [history]

2. #2 / 3
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>I think this is right,  because if the minimum number to keep is set to one, the calculator returns an average # of attackers left between 1 and 2.  (Although this doesn't make sense to me - I want 1 attacker left 100% of the time.. As it is the calc says I'll have an average of 0.7 attackers left ???

I think you are doing it right.  There seems to be a bug where the simulator is stopping when the attacker only has 1 unit left, even though you have told it not to stop until the attacker has zero units left....

Ah.  I looked into the code, and found this comment:

//numToKeep - is the number that the attacker wants to have atleast (i.e. they will stop attacking, //when they have only one unit more than this).

To illustrate the reason behind this, imagine you wanted to attack, but stop when you still had 10 units left.  If you only had 11 units left, you'd need to stop then, because otherwise you could lose two on the next turn, and end up with only 9.   That must be why I had it stop one unit early.  I'll have to think about the best way to handle this.

I should be able to make an update tonight.

3. #3 / 3
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ok, I think I fixed it.  I've modified the behavior to be more what you expected, and add this comment to explain it on the form:

Give up attack, if (attacker) down to:
    This does not include any units that have to be left behind (i.e. 1 extra unit in no abandon). So if you are playing on a board without abandon, set this to zero, to implying leave no *extra* guys behind - just the 1 you have to.

Does that text make sense?  Let me know if you notice any other problems.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)