2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 15
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm working on a board where I want players to be able to eliminate themselves. 

Abandon is on, but the player won't let you eliminate yourself.

Off hand, I can't think of a reason that you shouldn't be able to eliminate yourself.

My first thought is to ask tom to make a designer option: Enable players to attack with last unit.

In the absence of that, can anyone think of a workaround -- perhaps with factories??

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

2. #2 / 15
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

You could put the 2 units "off board".  Make every hex on board a capital.  Once players have attacked from off board onto the main board, they now own a capital, and once they lose those capitals they are eliminated.

Interesting board idea.  Are you planning on entering that in the tessellations contest?

3. #3 / 15
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

An offensive factory will kill you, but you need to own at least one territory to trigger it. 

Just set the factory to -xnumber on your capital territory 

It'll kill you. 

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

4. #4 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

You could put the 2 units "off board".  Make every hex on board a capital.  Once players have attacked from off board onto the main board, they now own a capital, and once they lose those capitals they are eliminated.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't work.  The problem still exists. The player doesn't let you attack away from (and abandon) a capital.  It certainly doesn't when it's your last territory.

Interesting board idea.  Are you planning on entering that in the tessellations contest?

..though it may technically be a tessellating board. that's all it is.  It doesn't fall in the spirit of the competition.  I mean, Antastic falls in the category of a tessellating board.  My Assassin board would be an example of what I would be much more comfortable entering.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.

5. #5 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

An offensive factory will kill you, but you need to own at least one territory to trigger it. 

Just set the factory to -xnumber on your capital territory 

It'll kill you. 

It could work, but I'll bet it's the same problem -- tom just doesn't want you let you kill yourself..  I'll give it a try, and if that doesn't work, I think I have a solution that I'm confident will work.

The solution I'm thinking of causes one of your opponents to kill your last man.

I'll set up single  factory off-board.  Then make every hex on the board a continent that auto-captures the factory.

This way at the beginning of your turn, the off-board territory will always be your color, which will enable you to attack with your last 'tribute' on the board.  If you attack with your last tribute and lose, the next player will eliminate you when he auto-captures the off-board territory.

The only down-side is that the player after you gets credit for the elimination, but I think that's a bogus stat anyways, and in a way, I'm happy to make it even less valid to prove the point.

Edited Fri 19th Oct 06:54 [history]

6. #6 / 15
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i wouldn't call Antastic a tessellating board by any stretch. i agree that your assassin board is, tho.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

7. #7 / 15
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

It's the hungergames, shouldn't the other players have to kill you anyway?  Why do you want to eliminate yourself?

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

8. #8 / 15
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Good idea on that solution.  Amazing the workarounds that we can come up with between capitals, factories, etc.

I made an argument once that any hex (or other gridded) board would be appropriate for the tessellations contest.  It's not a particularly interesting tessellation, and I assume voters would take that into consideration, but I think if the gameplay was good enough it could still do well in the competition.

9. #9 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

It's the hungergames, shouldn't the other players have to kill you anyway?  Why do you want to eliminate yourself?

Obviously, you don't "want" to eliminate yourself.   I would like it so that your last unit can attack one of my units and lose, and because in that case the attacker is eliminated, technically speaking, credit for the elimination should go to the defender.  Unfortunately, the player doesn't allow you to attack with your last unit, because currently only the attacker can 'eliminate'

10. #10 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

i wouldn't call Antastic a tessellating board by any stretch. i agree that your assassin board is, tho.

I don't play Antastic -- for some reason I was thinking it was a board made of squares (like a crossword puzzle-which is technically a tessellation.).  Antastic definitely does not tesselate.

11. #11 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

BTW, I'm working on my solution and finding in test play that interestingly enough, "Neutral" eliminates the attacker.

12. #12 / 15
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

It's pretty easy to make players eliminate themselves. See my Dungeon Quest board for example -- if at any point you control too many territories in the central area, boom, dead. This could easily be inverted to trigger an elimination upon controlling zero territories in the central area, simply by giving each player's singular capital (off board) a -1 factory bonus on self, and each territory on board give a standard factory bonus of +1 to that capital. Once you control no territories on board, the off-board capital's factory bonus kicks in, eliminating you.

13. #13 / 15
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

I made an argument once that any hex (or other gridded) board would be appropriate for the tessellations contest.  It's not a particularly interesting tessellation, and I assume voters would take that into consideration, but I think if the gameplay was good enough it could still do well in the competition.

In that case, I'm definitely going to submit my HexGear board =)

Not exactly the most exciting tessellating theme, but I'm just sitting on it anyway, so why not?

14. #14 / 15
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Aha, I see. hmm...

15. #15 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:

It's pretty easy to make players eliminate themselves. See my Dungeon Quest board for example -- if at any point you control too many territories in the central area, boom, dead. This could easily be inverted to trigger an elimination upon controlling zero territories in the central area, simply by giving each player's singular capital (off board) a -1 factory bonus on self, and each territory on board give a standard factory bonus of +1 to that capital. Once you control no territories on board, the off-board capital's factory bonus kicks in, eliminating you.

Yep, that should work.  My solution works similarly, but I think it's even more efficient. It only requires one off-board territory, which changes hands at the start of each player's turn using the +1 bonus you have described above.  The difference is the off-board territory is simply a temporary holder, and it doesn't need to be a factory.

So long as you have a player on the board, its corresponding factory puts a unit in the off-board territory at the beginning of your turn, enabling you to attack with your last man on the board. If at the beginning of the next player's turn you have eliminated yourself in the central area, their unit on the board auto-captures your temporary unit, permanently eliminating you.

Edited Sat 20th Oct 14:55 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)