2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 1
    WWI Flying Ace Red Baron
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

The Custom Scale is a wonderful card option that provides a new possibilities in game design and play, and I'm glad to have it available.  I would like to suggest an addition to it that would solve a longstanding problem I've had with choosing appropriate card options for my game designs.

The problem arises when you want to put out a game that will serve both small groups and large groups.  For small groups it is often best to choose a quickly escalating card set such as [4,6,8,10,12...] since this keeps things lively.  For a medium size group it's usually best to tone this down to [4,5,6,7,8...] to keep the game from getting too hyperactive.  For very large groups you almost have to choose a non-escalating option like [4,6,8,10,4,6,8,10...] or you get a game that is totally unstable and unfair to some players.  For 16 players you really want an option such as [4,4,5,5,6,6...], but if even you chose this you'd risk spoiling the smaller games.  What is really needed is some way to automatically scale the cards based on the number of players in the game.  That way the game would have a similar feel regardless of how many were playing.

The way I have traditionally dealt with this was to put out different mods tailored for different size groups.  This has never worked well in practice because most players don't bother to read the "about" text and end up launching the wrong mod for their group size.  It would be better to incorporate scaling into the game design somehow.

What I would suggest is to put a check box in the cards section that says "Scale Card Set to the Number of Players."  Checking this box would have no effect for four player games, but for other sizes the card set would be scaled so that individual players could expect to see the same basic card values they would see in a four player game.  For example, if the card set is [4,6,8,10,12...], the player in the first seat would see the series [4,12,20,28...], assuming all players took a card every turn and waited until five cards to cash.

In other words, a [4,6,8,10,12...] card set would be transformed into something like:

2 players: 4,8,12,16,20,24...
    3 players: 4,6,9,12,14,17,20...
    4 players: 4,6,8,10,12,14,16...
    5 players: 4,5,7,9,10,12,13,15...
    6 players: 4,5,6,8,9,10,12,13...
    8 players: 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12...
    12 players: 4,4,5,6,6,7,8,8,9...
    16 players: 4,4,5,5,6,6,7,7,8,8...

for the different group sizes.

An option like this would make it much easier to choose a card set that is balanced over a wide variety of group sizes.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)