Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 31
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Mostly Harmless wrote:
    weathertop wrote:

personally i think that if a better source image could be found, at higher resolution, that maybe something can be done to a) make it slightly bigger to spread out the cluster and 2) to allow for individual integrated points to be filled ala some of the neater graphic boards out there now.

Do you have a warfish account?  If so, could you look at the version of the map on Warfish and say whether you think it is of high-enough quality?    http://warfish.net/war/play/game?gid=19941949 ;;

Are you saying that you don't have any problems with the use of circles to indicate territories, but simply that the image isn't high-enough quality?    

can't access ToS from work, will take a look tonight.

maybe with something like this as a source image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-q9byV7hmnAg/TaSIgLEfODI/AAAAAAAABcM/esU0Xab-z2c/s1600/DisneysMagicKingdomMap.jpg

obviously it needs to be resized, but it's much more crisp and could be used to better the original image.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

2. #22 / 31
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:
    Mostly Harmless wrote:
    weathertop wrote:

personally i think that if a better source image could be found, at higher resolution, that maybe something can be done to a) make it slightly bigger to spread out the cluster and 2) to allow for individual integrated points to be filled ala some of the neater graphic boards out there now.

Do you have a warfish account?  If so, could you look at the version of the map on Warfish and say whether you think it is of high-enough quality?    http://warfish.net/war/play/game?gid=19941949 ;;;

Are you saying that you don't have any problems with the use of circles to indicate territories, but simply that the image isn't high-enough quality?    

maybe with something like this as a source image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-q9byV7hmnAg/TaSIgLEfODI/AAAAAAAABcM/esU0Xab-z2c/s1600/DisneysMagicKingdomMap.jpg

obviously it needs to be resized, but it's much more crisp and could be used to better the original image.

If you can use that source material and cut it up right that's going to look awesome!

3. #23 / 31
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

If fill-style is the new rule for maps, it should be added to the Help section as such.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

4. #24 / 31
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Come to think of it, why is circle mode even an option?  I can see why it was once thought that members might want to use images to make down and dirty circle maps for private play ..or was it so that designers could test ideas?  Either way, is it necessary or helpful ..or does it just cause more confusion about the standards of the site?

My vote: It's a WF relic that needs to go the way of the incandescent light bulb.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Thu 20th Oct 21:14 [history]

5. #25 / 31
    Standard Member MilesTeg
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Viper wrote:
    weathertop wrote:
    Mostly Harmless wrote:
    weathertop wrote:

Do you have a warfish account?  If so, could you look at the version of the map on Warfish and say whether you think it is of high-enough quality?    http://warfish.net/war/play/game?gid=19941949 ;;;;

If you can use that source material and cut it up right that's going to look awesome!

Yeah.  That map is definitely great looking.  Unfortunately, it's not Disneyland.  It's the magic Kingdom at Disney World.  Definitely different.  Lots of cool things missing from that park (IE: Matterhorn, Star Tours, etc).  I'm trying to find a map similar to that for Disneyland.  I'm actually going to be AT disneyland in a week.  I'll see if anyone there can help me out.  :)

6. #26 / 31
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Come to think of it, why is circle mode even an option?

I'd say it has potential to be helpful.  It's available for Testing and/or for Private/Beta use.

AttilaTheHun wrote:

If fill-style is the new rule for maps, it should be added to the Help section as such.

It's in the Help: http://www.wargear.net/help/display/Getting%20Started

Under the difference between Circle vs Fill.

It's also in the Board Design tool when you select Circle mode...

7. #27 / 31
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ah, sorry i guess i didn't recognize the distinction (i mean i know there's a difference, just didn't notice it). my connection is bad at home (yay another fone call to fix that); so i'll look tomorrow, see if i can't find something. found a good one of paris ;^)

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

8. #28 / 31
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:

It's in the Help: http://www.wargear.net/help/display/Getting%20Started

Under the difference between Circle vs Fill.

It's also in the Board Design tool when you select Circle mode...

Thanks Yertle, didn't see it where I was looking (Board Review section).

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

9. #29 / 31
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Mostly Harmless wrote:
    Hugh wrote:

He's an old friend - pretty sure he'd be okay if someone ported it and pretty sure he himself wouldn't have the time for it. I'll ask him. Reviewers do occasionally make bad or questionable decisions.

If you wouldn't mind asking him and no one else wants to, I wouldn't mind volunteering to port it.     It'd be a good exercise for me to learn the ropes, particularly now that I'm finally ready to give up on Warfish and my interest in risk is (re-)gaining momentum again.

Yep - you have permission - not sure whether he grabbed the image online somewhere or what, but you could use/modify the one he has on WF.

He tried a lot of things to figure out a way to avoid having the bottleneck (the top node) be a problem for gameplay. I can't remember which mod he liked best, but if you want to modify the gameplay in any way, feel free to experiment and implement something a little different. (A lot of mods on WG have minor game play tweaks, most of them for the better...)

The probability of missing a 1/N event in N tries approaches 1/e as N gets large. I just wanted to put that in a signature.

10. #30 / 31
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Yello's observation is particularly poignant because not only is it the most popular map, but unlike the almost-as-popular Gotham circle map--which because of it's streets and intersections layout lends better lends itself to a circle map design-- the Colossal Crusade map seems exactly the type of map that could be argued shouldn't be represented as a circle map. 

Though i too consider these circle-ish maps, you can tell that the designers worked to up the graphics. The territories have squares around them, or shading, or whatever, and that really improves the look.

Grace and Peace to you from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Chirst

11. #31 / 31
    Standard Member Johnny Yuma
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

For what it's worth, I still make circle-style territories. But even over on warfish, mine were fill mode (not circle mode). It's a little different process to make that approach work on wargear, but the final results are better, with even more options for the curious designer.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)