219 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 11
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Maybe it's just my browser (Firefox 6.02) but the "End of Last Turn" button in the History doesn't always work as I'd expect it to.
    If I go to a game that is being played and it's either not my turn or it is my turn and I don't have a set of cards to trade, the button seems to work as I'd expect.
    I predict it does a reverse search and finds the most last move in the history with my name on it.

However, if I go to a game where it is my turn and I do have a set of cards:
    The player loads, and I get the popup asking if I want to trade cards.
    Without pressing on one of those 2 buttons, I can't get to the history viewer.
    However, if I press one of those buttons (and from my unscientific testing, it seems that I could press either button and end up with the same result), I'm guessing it adds a line to the history for this turn (???) so when I press the "End of Last Turn" button, it only jumps to the line in the history for the current turn.

At the minimum, I'd think that button should do a quick reverse search and first look for the latest move  by any opponent, and then begin the search for my last move before that.
    This option would make sure that the reverse search is finding my latest move that is before my opponent, guaranteeing that it was my previous turn and not this one.

But maybe an additional feature is the ability to press the button multiple times, and step back through the history one turn at a time.
    So the first press gets you the last move of your previous turn.
    Second press gets you the last move of the turn before that...etc.
    Translation:

2. #2 / 11
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i've wanted this button to work correctly for a long time.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

3. #3 / 11
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

me too :)

Euler?? I hardly know her!

4. #4 / 11
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:

But maybe an additional feature is the ability to press the button multiple times, and step back through the history one turn at a time.

This would be great and it's something I've been wanting for a long time, but never bothered to mention.

The issue with cards has been around for a long time, but the 'end of last turn' button has gotten even worse lately, because on maps with factories, the factory placement at the beginning of your turn breaks it.

Since we are talking about the history viewer, there are a couple other improvements that would be nice:

Most important is probably an ability to skipped over fogged turns.  On a big foggy map, you might have 200 turns of history, but only 5 that you can even see.  I'm not sure the best way to handle this, maybe a button to skip to next unfogged turn?  Or maybe in 'play' mode it just skips the fogged turns (ideally with a 1 sec popup saying "N fogged turns were skipped").

Also, something like 1/2x,1x, 2x, 5x & 10x speeds for 'play' mode with hot keys.  Maybe fast-forward & slow-mo buttons tied to left arrow/right arrow.

5. #5 / 11
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

All good stuff.

I'd also like to be able to skip through to the end of each players turn.  That is start somewhere and go to end of that players turn, then the end of the next players turn, then the end of the next players turn, etc.

6. #6 / 11
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:

Maybe it's just my browser (Firefox 6.02) but the "End of Last Turn" button in the History doesn't always work as I'd expect it to.
    If I go to a game that is being played and it's either not my turn or it is my turn and I don't have a set of cards to trade, the button seems to work as I'd expect.
    I predict it does a reverse search and finds the most last move in the history with my name on it.

However, if I go to a game where it is my turn and I do have a set of cards:
    The player loads, and I get the popup asking if I want to trade cards.
    Without pressing on one of those 2 buttons, I can't get to the history viewer.
    However, if I press one of those buttons (and from my unscientific testing, it seems that I could press either button and end up with the same result), I'm guessing it adds a line to the history for this turn (???) so when I press the "End of Last Turn" button, it only jumps to the line in the history for the current turn.

At the minimum, I'd think that button should do a quick reverse search and first look for the latest move  by any opponent, and then begin the search for my last move before that.
    This option would make sure that the reverse search is finding my latest move that is before my opponent, guaranteeing that it was my previous turn and not this one.

Translation:

That's a top of the do-to list for me. As you can read, it's an old story http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1083/History_viewer_improvements.

Some on the issues of the thread have been solved, but not this End of last turn button.

I would add the need of a shortcut to go directly to the end of your last turn from the My Games page (similar to the Launch player shortcut). 

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth

7. #7 / 11
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'd like to re-iterate the request to have in-game posts added to the history.  I seem to remember that on Tos they would pop up on the screen as they occurred in the play-back.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

8. #8 / 11
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

is there an ability to add game info at the time of a particular turn? can't think of the specifics right now, but i know in the past its frustrating not seeing something at a particular turn (premium only of course)...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

9. #9 / 11
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

+1 to having game info track as you go through the history.

10. #10 / 11
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

is there an ability to add game info at the time of a particular turn? can't think of the specifics right now, but i know in the past its frustrating not seeing something at a particular turn (premium only of course)...

I'm 90% sure that someone said something on these forums about this (Yertle springs to mind, but I could be mistaken??)
    I thought it was some kind of "board state" button or something somewhere that did just this.

Though it wasn't an exhaustive one, I did look for it and didn't see one.

11. #11 / 11
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I asked for something kind of like this a while back, but it was just another column in the player info table that showed how much bonus a player actually got.  Right now, when you look at your bonus you only see what they currently *would* get, which can be very misleading.   For example, Players A,B, & C go in that order.  Every turn Player C takes A's continents away from them, and A takes them back.  If you are B & just look at your info, you think that A is always getting this continent bonus, but in fact they are never getting it.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)