219 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 15
    Standard Member coren
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

"each territory you control that is completely surrounded by other territories that you also control grants you +1"

How does this work with Team Play?

2. #2 / 15
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Your teammates' territories don't count, sadly. There's been some talk of allowing "team continents" but as yet this feature is still on the waiting list.

3. #3 / 15
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

how would the bonus armies be divvied up?

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

4. #4 / 15
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I think that was one of the sticking points. It would almost require a team reserve of available units to place, which would be a major change to the game mechanics. Or they would be divvied up evenly.

5. #5 / 15
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This was probably already discussed, but what about split based on % of the continent held (either by territories or unit count).

6. #6 / 15
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Rounding is an issue with percentage splits.  Take for example a +1 continent with two territories each own by a teammate.  Who gets a bonus?

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

7. #7 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:

Rounding is an issue with percentage splits.  Take for example a +1 continent with two territories each own by a teammate.  Who gets a bonus?

Hw about a solutions where plurality margin rules. In the case of ties, the player who secured the bonus, gets the bonus.  If one of the other players wants to take the bonus, they can attack their teammate

BAO alternative:

8. #8 / 15
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Also if you split the bonus based upon unit counts instead of territory counts, the dominant player can fortify units away, or the other player can place units to try and get a higher percentage.   Could offer some new tactics for opponents also, you could weaken a particular player to keep them from getting the bonus, without having to take the entire continent away from that team, just shift the unit counts around enough to deny one player any share of it.

9. #9 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

You could have a designer option where the possession of a continental bonus gives x units to all teammates.

So there could be a pulldown menu.

• Bonus goes to one player
    • Bonus is split by percentage/then originating player
    • Bonus applies equally to all Teammates

The second choice needs a few rules, maybe that results in something like..

a +2 bonus with 2 players splits 1-1 holding anything from 26-75% to 75-26% of the territories

a +3 bonus with 2 players splits 2-1 holding 84%-18 or closer to the 2:1 ratio

a +4 bonus with 2 players splits 3-1 holding 87%-13% or closer to a 3:1 ratio

etc.. 

The algorithm would need to be worked out but you get the idea..

BAO alternative:

10. #10 / 15
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hrm.  I guess another issue, is when is the bonus applied.   If it is shared among several players, does each player get their share at the beginning of their turn.  If so the game state could change between players turns and the total continent bonus given could be greater or less than the actually total continent bonus.

11. #11 / 15
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Two thoughts -

a) Assign to each continent a "key" territory, whomever controls that territory is the one who gets the bonus   For pure HORDES! maps this is moot/somewhat easy since all the continents implicitly come with a key territory.  If you own a territory and you or your teammates own all the bordering ones, then you get the bonus for that territory.

c) Give the bonus to the player that secures the continent - so then the continent needs to be held for one full round before a bonus is given out.

12. #12 / 15
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:

rounding shouldn't be a big problem, require it to be done in integers and the excess goes to one of the teammates (could be decided by damn near anything: seat order, units, territories owned, biggest/littlest bonus, etc)

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

13. #13 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Hrm.  I guess another issue, is when is the bonus applied.   If it is shared among several players, does each player get their share at the beginning of their turn.  If so the game state could change between players turns and the total continent bonus given could be greater or less than the actually total continent bonus.

Two easy solutions:

1. Place those armies in reserve
    2. Armies are allocated according to "present" board state at each turn

BAO alternative:

14. #14 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

Two thoughts -

a) Assign to each continent a "key" territory, whomever controls that territory is the one who gets the bonus   For pure HORDES! maps this is moot/somewhat easy since all the continents implicitly come with a key territory.  If you own a territory and you or your teammates own all the bordering ones, then you get the bonus for that territory.

c) Give the bonus to the player that secures the continent - so then the continent needs to be held for one full round before a bonus is given out.

These are good solutions too.

BAO alternative:

15. #15 / 15
    Standard Member Gimli
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

coren wrote:

"each territory you control that is completely surrounded by other territories that you also control grants you +1"

How does this work with Team Play?

to go back to answer this... I think it got carried away in the theoretical solutions.

First, check if teamplay rules are enabled... ie team transfers. Smart teammates will use the transfers to give you the armies with their transfer if you are strong in an area, so you can take it easier, and they don't have to kill armies of the same team. And you of course would be wise to give yours away in areas you are in the minority.

If there are no team transfers allowed, I will just attack the enemies with 2 to reduce myself to 1. Sometimes if I have armies to spare, I will actually add an army so I can attack with 3 to help my ally get the area.

If I am left with no enemies to attack (I happen to be completely surrounded by allies but I have to get rid of the units without a transfer) I will attack my team members 2+ stacks with my armies 1 at a time... suiciding my armies while minimizing the chances I actually kill his units. Most efficient way to let him get the continent in this instance.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)