197 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 21
    Standard Member Saiyan
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I came accross this problem in a map im making right now, and that was that I wanted 1 territory however I had an obstacle in the way and the fill needed to be behind it. So i had an idea that it would be sweet if there was a way to make two or so spaces into 1 territory.

Might just be an unnecessary convienience but I wanted to throw it out there

"Welcome to the end of your life...And i promise you it's going to hurt."

2. #2 / 21
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Link the 2 spaces on your fill layer with a 1 pixel line and it will fill both areas.

3. #3 / 21
    Standard Member Saiyan
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

You can still see the link though depending on the background/color of fill

4. #4 / 21
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

not if you don't allow the barrier to be semi-transparent. i'm assuming a mountain range or something. you'll have to edit out the mountain range to not be semi-transparent, then it won't bleed thru

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

5. #5 / 21
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Of course you can't have an "x" of territories link either, so depending on the territory layout it may be difficult/not possible to do either.

Although I'd be hesitant to have two areas that can't be connected with the current system to be connected via a designer enhancement.

Cumberdale Classics Coming Soon!

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

6. #6 / 21
    Standard Member Saiyan
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Ya i did think that weathertop but it's a huge pain to try and get them to match up perfectly.

Like I said, mostly just a convienience thing

7. #7 / 21
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Saiyan wrote:

Ya i did think that weathertop but it's a huge pain to try and get them to match up perfectly.

hmmm?  You don't have to get anything to "match up", just have your Board Image completely Opaque in the areas you don't want the player fill to show through.

See KrocK's board for a good example (hit Fill button, then slide the Board Transparency to the left to see how he's set it up) http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/1239

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

8. #8 / 21
    Standard Member Saiyan
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

That's all good if the layer over it is opaque....but if that one needs to be transparent as well...well there's the problem haha

9. #9 / 21
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Saiyan wrote:

That's all good if the layer over it is opaque....but if that one needs to be transparent as well...well there's the problem haha

Having a transparent Board Image has it's potential "problems" anyhow.  For players that play in Work Mode the backdrop in the Flash Player is a solid dark grey color anyhow, so the board may not look as good as expected for those players.

Just something to potentially keep in mind.

Edited Thu 14th Apr 23:28 [history]

10. #10 / 21
    Standard Member Saiyan
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I always play in work-mode and i never noticed, and i was the one that made it ha. granted only in dev. tests. but still...for instance, one board im working on, will have three or four layers for the board image. But the images on the third layer are territories just like the second and the first and must be transparent. (I know i got myself into this ha). so that's when i thought it would be really cool to just be able to link two spaces into one territory.

11. #11 / 21
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

FYI yertle, those pix didn't show for me...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

12. #12 / 21
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Then you make a complete opaque backdrop (even if just dark grey which is what you would normally see) in which it is transparent in the territories areas and covers up the single pixel line that's been discussed.

Ya weather, that didn't work like I was hoping, well it did but then for some reason it was short lived.

13. #13 / 21
    Standard Member Saiyan
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Ya i understand that. That map helped thank you. But I'm talking about when you can't use a pixel line

14. #14 / 21
    Standard Member Saiyan
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Here this will show you what i mean. It's pretty insignificant, but when you're striving for "perfection" it becomes more so

http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/2163

The top right castle has a courtyard which i would like to fill in with the surrounding territory color

15. #15 / 21
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Saiyan wrote:

The top right castle has a courtyard which i would like to fill in with the surrounding territory color

Aye, similar to the "x" of territories I was referring too. 

For your example you could break down a wall to get that filled with the land territory color, or change the thought that the land territory should even encompass the courtyard since it is more a part of the castle than the outside land and thus leave it the default green.

I definitely hear you about striving for the best image possible, I pretty much attempt to do a pixel by pixel check of my boards (I'm still bugged about some missing pixels on a couple of borders for my WarGear 2210 board, quite insignificant but quite a bit of work to fix on 5 images.)

16. #16 / 21
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

you could put a single one around the outside to hook the front and backside of the castle together.
    then potentially put a single pixel on the backside of the courtyard where the tower/gate meet, that single line would connect the backside of the castle to the courtyard and really might not even see the single pixel in the 'shadows' of the crease there. worth a try at least.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

17. #17 / 21
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The thing is though that a single line is really 3 lines... you'd have to have a single pixel border on both sides that wouldn't fill, then the land territory fill pixel line in the center.

18. #18 / 21
    Standard Member Saiyan
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I've messed around with it a lot before this doing different things, and there just isn't a way to work it. Especially say if the castle was yellow and the surrounding territory was blue. It becomes extremely obvious

19. #19 / 21
    Standard Member Saiyan
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

So do you not think this would be a good feature? I understand the hesitation but shouldn't board review weed out any bad use?

20. #20 / 21
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

You can draw a single pixel line under the opaque map image so that it isn't seen, but still fills those little, seemingly disconnected areas.  

What I would suggest, is having the code for the player recognize color differences in the fill map, so you can have 2 territories touching, not separated by a border, and the territory would still be recognized as separate, since it is a different color in the fill layer.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)