220 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 18
    Standard Member Beastlymaster
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm looking for help on a Settlers of Catan board.  I've got the background downloaded that I want to use, but I need to get some help with the cities, roads, and settlements.  Anyone have any good pictures I can use for this?  Also let me know if anyone has started this.  Here is the link for the background.

http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/2121

~~~~~~~~~~
    So, Beastlymaster, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

2. #2 / 18
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

That looks cool, I'm not sure how to play or else I'd be happy to help.

3. #3 / 18
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

i've thought of doing that exact one! i love Catan, have you played the game quite a bit?

4. #4 / 18
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

i was thinking something along the lines of:

each player starts with a "character" who is on the outside of the board, from there you attack a select few settlements on the board. 

Each "character" can also attack a set of dice (either some just available to him or a central set), you must own a settlement/city AND the dice pair that makes the number that you're built on in order to get a bonus.

does that make since at all or sound like a good idea?

5. #5 / 18
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That sounds like a great idea.  I love Settlers.  I have all of the expansion and the 5-6 player expansions if each board.  My favorite is Cities & Knights because of all the different ways to win.  I was also thinking about putting a few "Soldiers" on the board to allow for the largest army bonus.  What do you think?

~~~~~~~~~~
    So, Beastlymaster, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

6. #6 / 18
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

It would also be cool to link cities/villages that border resources to have an extra bonus if the corresponding port was owned.

Here's an article about Settlers that Wired magazine ran last year.

http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/magazine/17-04/mf_settlers

Talks about how popular the game is and how it came about.

7. #7 / 18
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

one of the great things about making a board from this is that later you could add seafarers for a separate board, then Cities and Knight for yet another (plus Traders and Barbarians would add tons of options as well) -- you could do several scenarios too! Such a vast field of possibilities. I'm glad you're going to get it started.

"soldiers " as in the little circle guys from C&K or some cards? -- either way would be fine. Unless you wanted the first board to be strictly Catan without the expansions. 

Grace and Peace to you from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ

8. #8 / 18
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

With turn-based territory select, you could set the neutral count high enough that every player got to choose about 2 settlements each to begin with, which would model the start of the actual game.

9. #9 / 18
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Oh nice idea Kjeld.  And Jigler, I was thinking along those lines as well.  Something Like sea farers later and then expanding into C&K.  And on this board I was thinking just the cards.  And have either of you heard about Carcassonne?  That might make an interesting board as well.

~~~~~~~~~~

10. #10 / 18
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Beastlymaster wrote:

And have either of you heard about Carcassonne?  That might make an interesting board as well.

I was looking for images two nights ago.  

11. #11 / 18
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Carcassonne would be interesting for sure! i haven't thought about making a board out of it yet. But it has potential for sure. :)

So yeah, probably if you had 3 or so knight cards that all players could attack, that could be the bonus. 

12. #12 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Beastlymaster wrote:

And have either of you heard about Carcassonne?  That might make an interesting board as well.

I've played that once not too long ago and it was great!  I've thought about a WG board (although I think of attempting to turn everything into a WG board :P), but haven't really came up with any kind of gameplay that could come close to the real board.  I still think it's probably doable, just may not be as original as the real board and/or could take a huge amount of continents/precise layout (at least that's what's been in my head for it).

Cumberdale Classics Coming Soon!

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

13. #13 / 18
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Also, speaking of board games, i'm hoping to get around to creating a Ticket to Ride board

14. #14 / 18
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

So Beastlymaster, any work done on this idea so far?

Grace and Peace to you from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Chirst
    Edited Mon 16th May 12:58 [history]

15. #15 / 18
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I recently got very sick and it put me out a week from work.  If you'd like to take over on this Jigler I'd be more than happy to pass the torch to you.  Also things just got real busy IRL.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Edited Tue 17th May 11:05 [history]

16. #16 / 18
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

i have too many projects at the moment, we'll see what happens in the future. I'll let you know if a time comes when i can take it over.

Grace and Peace to you from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Chirst

17. #17 / 18
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I had started a Settlers board, but quit because you were on it.  I would be willing to pick it back up.  How far are you?

Sometimes you have to bathe the cat

18. #18 / 18
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Not very far at all.  Go ahead and pick it up.  Give me an invite when you get close to testing.

~~~~~~~~~~

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)